1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Just checked the laws for manchester NJ and apparently you cant have chickens or any small livestock unless your on over 2 acres and the housing is 50 foot from any existing property line. Oh you also cant have a garage sale monday thru thursday and you need a permit for it. I hate this town.

2. music11

music11 New Egg

Sep 5, 2013
    Does anyone know what the zoning laws are for Beachwood NJ?

3. Chickadoodledo

Chickadoodledo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    Hi Music 11... I'm from Beachwood and I, too, want to know if we can have chickens... or not. No help from Zoning or Borough Hall and I can't find anything on the net. Parts of Toms River and Bayville can have them, but I can't get an answer from anyone or anywhere about Beachwood. I'll post back if I find anything out. Cluck... Cluck!!!

4. pinebarrensbrew

pinebarrensbrew Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    Music11 and chick. I am also from New Jersey. I'm not going to call anyone from the town because 90% of them are useless and everyone just gets those positions from their cliques. So I'm just going to jump into it. If you somehow hear anything though I would appreciate the information. Last time I tried calling town hall for anything I didn't get a straight answer for almost 2 months.

5. pinebarrensbrew

Dec 25, 2013
    Also from beachwood* I would expect most all in this thread to be from nj. Sorry. A bit to many Christmas cookies. [​IMG]

6. Chickadoodledo

Apr 16, 2013
    Hi Pinebarrensbrew... As tempting as it seems, I'm not taking the chance at, as you put it, "just jumping into it." It would be just my luck that I would fall in love with my girls, only to have someone complain and I'd have to get rid of them. I just wish someone somewhere could give me a straight answer. Hope you had a good Christmas... and, lay off the cookies!!! lol

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  7. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    From what I found Beachwood does not allow chickens. http://clerkshq.com/default.ashx?clientsite=Beachwood-nj Check out Chapter 5 section 7.

5-7 KEEPING OF GOATS PROHIBITED; CATTLE, PIGEONS AND CHICKENS RESTRICTED.*

It shall be unlawful to keep or have any goats, cattle, chickens or pigeons within the Borough. This section shall not affect anyone who currently maintains pigeons and pigeon coops at the time of the adoption of this section in accordance with County health standards. (Ord. #2/28/80, §51-31; Ord. #91-16, §1)

8. pinebarrensbrew

Dec 25, 2013
    Well that's pretty cut and dry. Haha. Thanks for that. And it's crazy that my buddy who lives straight across that pit behind the elementary school is allowed to have a horse let alone chickens because he's in Berkeley. Silly

9. Chickadoodledo

Apr 16, 2013
    Hi Leena, Thanks for the info. I'm not happy, but thanks. Now I'm going to work on getting that changed. Gotta do some research and get my "ducks in a row". I'm hopeful, but I don't count on anything when it comes to Beachwood. I've been here a long time and this Borough is set in it's ways. Wish me luck.

10. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    There's a group in Haddon Township that's trying to get the laws in their town changed to have chickens. You might want to reach out the them, as they've done a lot of research and the town has a committee on it. There's a Southern NJ Facebook group for chickens, which might be helpful as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/351523881622816/ That's how I found out about the Haddon Twp issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by