Chicken laying down more than most

Emak2323

Songster
Apr 30, 2019
Massachusetts
I have a flock of 19 birds. 7 are 1.5 years old. 1 of my 1.5 year olds I have been seeing laying down a lot. The rest will be free ranging and she will lay down. I checked her feet for bumble foot and it’s not that. She also isn’t limping. In June I treated all the older girls (they were living separately) for worms, but they’ve seemed fine since. She eats treats and sometimes just pecks around while lying down. Am I just being over cautious? 🤞🏻

If she is eating, pooping, laying and dust bathing I wouldn't be alarmed. All chickens have different personalities and she may just be lazy! Does she come with the rest of the flock for treats?

Can you determine whether this girl is laying? Being fatigued from a laying issue/disorder is the first thing that comes to mind. Or she could be heading into molt. Or it could be something else. Can you check for crop function? It should empty overnight.

If she is eating, pooping, laying and dust bathing I wouldn't be alarmed. All chickens have different personalities and she may just be lazy! Does she come with the rest of the flock for treats?

she comes running when she sees me. I don’t think it’s a personality thing because she was not like this before. She was attacked by a hawk early this year and her crop was damaged. She seemed to heal fine , but I’m wondering if there could be some residual issue from it...

Can you determine whether this girl is laying? Being fatigued from a laying issue/disorder is the first thing that comes to mind. Or she could be heading into molt. Or it could be something else. Can you check for crop function? It should empty overnight.

She’s always been a not so great layer with thinner shells and very loud when it comes time (like she is a bit distressed). I will try to keep a close eye on her crop throughout the day, especially since this was affected when she was attacked by a hawk early this year

Keep an eye on her. One of my older hens got really lazy(Laid down constantly) but then she started to molt and she’s better now. If more symptoms start showing up please let us know.

Keep an eye on her. One of my older hens got really lazy(Laid down constantly) but then she started to molt and she’s better now. If more symptoms start showing up please let us know.

Ugh I just went out to check on them and she was sleeping on the ground, not the roost. Her crop felt full and I’ll check it again in the morning. Any ideas?

What exactly was wrong with your chicken’s crop after the hawk attack?
If the crop is still full in the morning there is a definitive crop problem. Sour crop or impacted crop come to mind. Is her abdomen swollen? Has she laid eggs since you noticed the behavior change? Please keep us updated.

What exactly was wrong with your chicken’s crop after the hawk attack?
If the crop is still full in the morning there is a definitive crop problem. Sour crop or impacted crop come to mind. Is her abdomen swollen? Has she laid eggs since you noticed the behavior change? Please keep us updated.

The hawk ripped her crop open. I had the vet do surgery to close it as when she drank water was coming out. She recovered rather quickly and 7 days later was laying eggs again. Crop has been emptying overnight so possibly not related. One thing I noticed when I was examining her is she has a scab on her chest (which she has had for a while and which I have posted before). I’m attached a pic. It doesn’t appear infected, but I sprayed with antibiotic spray and gave them apple cider vinegar in their water.

The last egg I believe she laid was on 9/27 and before that 9/24. she has been laying fairly regularly since I noticed her laying down.

Her abdomen might feel a little squishy near her vent area, but I don’t think she’s laying eggs internally. Could it be something else?

Attachments

• CCC207D9-90A4-4CB3-A2DC-0F5FFD14B3A8.jpeg
    CCC207D9-90A4-4CB3-A2DC-0F5FFD14B3A8.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 47C2E307-CC37-4EFD-94FA-ABDD7BCA8046.jpeg
    47C2E307-CC37-4EFD-94FA-ABDD7BCA8046.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2
I’d watch the scab and make sure it doesn’t get worse. I don’t really know what else could be the problem. If she hasn’t molted already maybe she’s preparing for one.

Back
Top Bottom