chicken laying eggs

coosagirl

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014
equality, alabama
I have 5 hens they are 7 months old...they have been laying for 2 months ...my husband and I went to close coop door last night...their was one hen on the roost bar and she well we thought she was laying a egg,but the shell came out first then the yolk and she did it again tonight but 2 eggs came out same way...I'm a beginner so can anyone tell me what could be wrong.....she is fine durning day running around and eating well.....please help I would love some feedback....

It sounds like she is laying soft or shell-less eggs? They are usually just a glitch in the egg laying system and they are especially common in new layers or in birds just coming back into lay as as they get into gear. Since your girl is so young I would expect it is just related to her age. Do you have them on Layer food or have oyster shell available for them to eat to be on the safe side? It is not necessarily related to a lack of calcium as such, but it can be related to the bird's ability to use calcium or a defective shell gland. If it is just the one bird and she keeps doing it a lot, I would be inclined to think it is a problem specific to her, and probably not diet/ disease/ disturbances which you might want to look at if your whole flock is doing it. There is a list of causes on The Poultry Site ... http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

Thankyou kelsie2290 I think that maybe what is going on... she was on roost bar again but we left her alone.....I do give them nutrena18% layer pellets and oyster shell...I will watch the rest of the flock. .....thanks again

Back
Top Bottom