Chicken Laying from Roost & Eating Own Egg

MT_Chickens

Hatching
Oct 25, 2018
Hi All,

First time poster here. I have 6 hens, all 6-months old. They have been laying for about 2 months, and up until now have been using the three nesting boxes in the coop with no problems. Within the past week and a half, our Black Australorp has been climbing up on the roost to lay, even when other hens are not occupying the laying boxes. Most of the time her egg does not break, but a few have and she (along with the other hens) proceed to eat the egg. Any advice on how to stop this? I have done some reading on other posts, and believe I have accounted for all the factors I've read about: the hens have ample space in the coop and run, they are eating an 18% protein layer feed and get veggie treats and grass/bugs/etc. when they free range in the yard in the evenings, there are plastic and ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes, and the nesting boxes are built so that the eggs roll away to a separate compartment once they are laid. We have had no issues with thin-shelled eggs, so I'm assuming that their calcium levels are sufficient. Also, none of the hens have tried to peck at the eggs. I'm not sure what the Black Australorp's issue might be since she has laid in the nesting boxes just fine until now. Any input is welcomed!

M

if shes eating her own eggs then she needs calcium fast. start with isolating her so that the other chickens don't start. then giver like two crushed calcium pills in her food. if she doesn't stop then get a roll away nesting box. so that she can't eat it.
and welcome to BYC. lol:frow

if shes eating her own eggs then she needs calcium fast. start with isolating her so that the other chickens don't start. then giver like two crushed calcium pills in her food. if she doesn't stop then get a roll away nesting box. so that she can't eat it.
and welcome to BYC. lol:frow

I will get calcium, stat! We have a roll away nesting box, which she used before, but the problem is she's laying from the roost. Thank you, I've been a BYC lurker for awhile and decided to join the chicken party! :celebrate

Hi All,

First time poster here. I have 6 hens, all 6-months old. They have been laying for about 2 months, and up until now have been using the three nesting boxes in the coop with no problems. Within the past week and a half, our Black Australorp has been climbing up on the roost to lay, even when other hens are not occupying the laying boxes. Most of the time her egg does not break, but a few have and she (along with the other hens) proceed to eat the egg. Any advice on how to stop this? I have done some reading on other posts, and believe I have accounted for all the factors I've read about: the hens have ample space in the coop and run, they are eating an 18% protein layer feed and get veggie treats and grass/bugs/etc. when they free range in the yard in the evenings, there are plastic and ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes, and the nesting boxes are built so that the eggs roll away to a separate compartment once they are laid. We have had no issues with thin-shelled eggs, so I'm assuming that their calcium levels are sufficient. Also, none of the hens have tried to peck at the eggs. I'm not sure what the Black Australorp's issue might be since she has laid in the nesting boxes just fine until now. Any input is welcomed!

M
Hello MT_Chickens. Welcome to BYC.
If an egg does get broken hens will often eat it.
Does this happen in daytime?
Can you prevent the hens from getting onto the roost during the day?
A picture of the layout of your coop would help people to give some advice.

A broken egg is fair game for eating, it doesn't mean they are lacking calcium.
Just because a bird lays from the roost means she need to be 'dosed' with a calcium supplement.

The layer feed should have sufficient calcium, but the other foods may be diluting how much they get. Never hurts to have oyster shell available in a separate feeder and/or sprinkle some out the ground.

It's really hard to say why she is laying off the roost instead of in the nests.
Are the shells thin or soft?
Softies can take them by surprise, they don't 'feel right', can pop out anywhere, and the bird can act weird as they move down the pike.

Back
Top Bottom