Chicken laying multiple eggs in a day

How many chickens do you have total and how many eggs total are you finding per day? If you are getting more eggs than you have hens, somebody is slipping eggs in and pulling your leg. It is nearly impossible for a chicken to lay more than 1 normal egg per day. There is a very, very slim chance of a chicken laying 1 normal and 1 abnormal egg in a 24hr period, but it can't be ruled out completely. Watch the video above. It completely explains how eggs are formed, how long it takes per egg, and why it takes as long as it does.
The world record for the hen that had layed the most eggs in 1 year is only 364. That's almost 1 egg per day. But not 2.
:hugs

I have 40 chickens and get at least 12 eggs a day. I don’t think all of my chickens are laying yet. Our coop is pretty secure from outsiders getting in and it’s just me and my husband. I had cooked the first three that we got before I found the next three, so no one could have replaced them in the coop. They are all the same shade of blue and the first three cracked normal and I don’t see any differences in the three I got yesterday. I had researched how they lay eggs before which is why I’m baffled as to why I’m getting three a day. She is definitely the only one of her kind. However, I could be wrong on the breed of the others. What other breeds lay colorful eggs?

To be honest, when I was about 10, the neighbor boy (who had chickens) and I played a prank on his mom over a couple weeks. We were making some Muscadine wine and decided to dye some eggs. We started out just barely coloring one, but dyed them just a little darker everyday till the were pretty dark. We would always take an egg with us when we left that new colored egg so there would never be too many eggs. We finally got busted about 3 weeks later when she took a couple eggs to church to see if anyone else had ever seen eggs like those. Billy had told this girl he liked that he had thought about it as a prank and she spilled the beans on us. Luckily we didn't get a whooping, at least not that time. The whooping came from the hard boiled egg prank! :lau
You were making muscadine wine at 10!! That's as far as I got, ok back to reading:lau

You were making muscadine wine at 10!! That's as far as I got, ok back to reading:lau
It's easy to fill up a few 5 gal buckets with wild grapes when your young and can climb like a monkey. Cover it with some burlap and let nature do its thing. We made sure to add some sugar after that batch, I think that was the driest wine I ever tasted. When I was young and living in the country, after doing chores there wasnt anything to do but climb trees, hunt, fish, and of course, get into trouble. :gig

I have 40 chickens and get at least 12 eggs a day. What other breeds lay colorful eggs?
Crested Legbars and some others. I haven't had my coffee injection yet but I'm sure someone else remembers the various blue egg layers. I'd look it up for you but I'm putting it off, right now I'm procaffeinating.:lau

Last edited:
Theres gotta be more EE in your flock that have started laying, tou would have noticed is she was internally laying and for some reason the dam broke as that would be the only other explanation I could think of and that don't happen

I bought a couple prairie blue bell and starlight green layers this year....they do not have the typical EE look but do lay colored eggs.

My starlight green layers are red birds with straight combs and yellow legs.

I am thinking it is possible depending on where the OP got their birds that they may have a few of these in their flock.

Back
Top Bottom