Chicken laying soft eggs

Clouded

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
A few days ago I found a squishy egg in the coop. We thought it was just a strange occurrence but today we found another one. I know who's laying these, she doesn't lay in the nesting boxes (we've been trying to get her to, though) and roosts in the coop bedding.
I also noticed yellow tinted poop, I don't know if it's hers or not but it's a different color than the rest of it.

There has been no changes in her behavior, she looks healthy, she's eating and socializing just as normal.

I know low calcium can cause weakness in eggshells but is there anything else that could be the issue?

Just a little information about her:
She's a Lavender Orpington, she's a little over a year old, she lives in a flock of seven

What feed do you use? Do you provide free choice oyster shell on the side and have you seen her eat it?
I use a local brand, Cashton Farm Supply
No, we haven't yet given them oyster shell. We have some but are waiting for new feeders we have to get

Hens need layer feed or at least free choice crushed oyster shell to lay strong eggs. You can toss it in a pan or bowl for them. Right now, I would give this hen 1 human calcium citrate tablet with D3 for a few days.

I use a local brand, Cashton Farm Supply
No, we haven't yet given them oyster shell. We have some but are waiting for new feeders we have to get
That is the brand but tells us nothing about the food. Is it chick food, grower food. layer, all flock, etc. What are the calcium and protein percentages?

You can use many different things to put oyster shell out. I have even seen people use plastic bottles like Gatorade bottles with a hole cut in the side and tied to the wall.

Back
Top Bottom