Silkie played soft shell egg

alinkayukh

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2023
Yesterday I noticed one of my girls wasn’t acting right. She seemed tired and was standing with her tail practically straight in the air. This morning she didn’t come out of the coop at all. I suspected she might be egg bound. I was right, she laid a soft shell egg. I think it may of broken inside, her butt is all yellow and she just pooped a bit of watery yellow fluid. And the egg she laid was also deflated. What are my next steps? Obviously I’m going to clean her up, but should I get her on antibiotics? If so what can I get at tractor supply? Any advice is appreciated.

Also, I read that soft shell eggs are a calcium deficiency. All of my other silkie girls lay eggs just fine. Can I put in crushed TUMS in their water or should I use something else? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_8607.jpeg
    IMG_8607.jpeg
    805.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8606.jpeg
    IMG_8606.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 1
Try giving her a human calcium citrate tablet 300 mg with vitamin D daily for a few days up to a week to see if her shells get hard. Tums will work till you get the calcium tabs. Clean out her nest box also, since the crushed egg can draw flies and maggots. Hopefully, it is just a temporary problem, but she might be getting ready to stop laying or she could have a reproductive disorder.

I will go to target right now and pick that up. She just went back into coop and acting like she is about to lay another egg.

She’s only a year old, she laid her first egg a couple of weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom