Chicken laying soft/shell-less eggs

chaniemitchie

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2017
Hello everyone,
I’m hoping to just get some advice on what to do about soft shelled or completely shell-less eggs.

A few days ago my chicken was acting a bit strange and upon closer inspection I saw there was something hanging out of her. My first thought was that it looked like a massive worm but when I saw a yolk on the floor near her, I realized it was the shell /:

It was almost completely soft expect for a few harder spots here and there. I wasn’t sure what to do but after a while I could see she was uncomfortable and she wasn’t eating or drinking or pooping at all. I decided I needed to get it out so with some help I could hold her up and slowly and gently pull the shell out. It came out with no problems and by the next day she was back to her normal self.

Today I woke up and found another yolk in her nest but this time I can see she’s struggling but the shell seems to still be completely inside of her. She’s really not happy and not eating again. She’s not drinking any water either which is a problem as the weather here has been really hot and I’m nervous she gets dehydrated.

I don’t know what to do to try and help her. I can see she’s very uncomfortable. She’s very lethargic as well which is making me a bit worried as she’s normally quite hyperactive.

Any tips on what to do here? Would greatly appreciate any advice 🙏🏼 thanks in advance

You need to start her on a minimum of 600mg of calcium citrate per day until she is laying normal eggs. Can you get something similar to this product where you are located?
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Give her one whole tablet directly in her beak. Don't worry. She will have no problem swallowing it. Just shove it in. This will encourage contractions to get any egg remnants expelled. It will also boot up her blood calcium to increase available calcium so her body can build a solid shell.

She's on a road to certain disaster without this intervention. Next egg could get stuck, break, start infection that will eventually kill her.

You need to start her on a minimum of 600mg of calcium citrate per day until she is laying normal eggs. Can you get something similar to this product where you are located? View attachment 3383149Give her one whole tablet directly in her beak. Don't worry. She will have no problem swallowing it. Just shove it in. This will encourage contractions to get any egg remnants expelled. It will also boot up her blood calcium to increase available calcium so her body can build a solid shell.

She's on a road to certain disaster without this intervention. Next egg could get stuck, break, start infection that will eventually kill her.
Hi there,

Thank you ☺️

I can’t seem to get hold of that one here (South Africa) but I found the one below. As soon as the place opens this morning I’ll go and get some.

Thank you so much for your help. Hardly slept last night in such a state worrying about my poor baby.

I’ll give her the tabs and see how she does 😅

E9BF0414-D90F-474E-BD11-54779CFDDC98.png
876441D0-D1E2-48D6-A351-53AA44B5CC73.png

Hi there,

Thank you ☺️

I can’t seem to get hold of that one here (South Africa) but I found the one below. As soon as the place opens this morning I’ll go and get some.

Thank you so much for your help. Hardly slept last night in such a state worrying about my poor baby.

I’ll give her the tabs and see how she does 😅

View attachment 3383407View attachment 3383408
If this is what's available to you, this will be just fine.

Shes been drinking water (quite a bit in fact) again but still no food and no proper poops. I would imagine she hasn’t eaten at all since yesterday morning because that’s when I noticed she was looking a bit off.

Do you think she’ll be okay with just water for now? Should I just let her do her thing or do I need to get her to eat somehow?

Image below for reference to the “poops” she’s making. Noticed yesterday there was some browny/reddish colouring. Could that be blood? Her feathers under and around her bum are poopy and dirty as well.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom