Chicken lays soft shell eggs and they eat it together

Yevesman

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Australia
I have a white leg horn x (barter white) that use to lay good shell eggs. But for the past 9 months or so the norm has become soft shell eggs. Today I saw her purposefully lay the egg white while balancing herself on a rock feature i have in the run, so that the egg would break on lay and she and her mate could eat the ripped open egg. So it’s clearly become a habit.
Yes I have freely available fine grit. I give them calcium and vitamin d supplement all the time. Vinegar in their water. I don’t even know how she does it to lay soft shell eggs anymore. I don’t think it’s a disease, she is fine otherwise.

What to do? I can’t cull just for this.

And I would cull her if this does not improve. If they have learned to break them, on those rocks, they would be moved... but I think that I would not want this in my flock.

A lot depends on how much vinegar in the water - but I would just use fresh clean water, and some oyster shell to try first. And if that does not work, I would cull both of them.

Mrs K

Yes I have freely available fine grit. I give them calcium and vitamin d supplement all the time.
What exactly are these and how do you give them?
What is their regular feed, brand/model/protein and calcium percentages?

Vinegar in their water.
X3....Stop the vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom