Chicken lays while roosting & SPLAT!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kinniburgh, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Kinniburgh

Kinniburgh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    HELP! I got my 1st egg last Friday and was very excited. On Monday I found a soft shelled egg on the floor of the coop and new someone new was laying...since my other girl had just laid in her usual spot. So I thought maybe this particular new layer just got a surprise while roosting and maybe it came fast since it was soft shelled. Well, today I go out and find my 1st layers egg right where it belongs and SPLAT the other hens egg broken on the floor right under the roost again! What should I do! I have 3 nesting boxes and 6 chickens and only two are laying so I know they aren't overcrowded and the roosts are higher then the boxes ( not overly high though since I have BR ). I do have a problem with a couple of chickens roosting on the nesting boxes and haven't had the time to build a slanted roof yet...could this be the problem?? HELP!!

2. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    When my hens started laying I found a couple of broken/soft shell ones on the poop board underneath the roost. I think they just need to learn. They will get it and lay in the nesting boxes. I had one Australorp that insisted to lay on the poop board, not broken, just sitting there and trying to make a nest. She came around and lays now in the box like all the others. They are just beginners, there is not much you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by