CHICKEN LEARNING CURVE

ChickNChicken

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Canton, Mass.
I've just started getting eggs from my three Dominques who were hatched in mid-July -- beautiful, big, strong-shelled brown eggs. So, even though the weather in New England is in the single-digits lately, they're doing their job. About one egg each, every day, deposited at various times.

I, on the other hand, am on a bit of a learning curve. I've never collected eggs before. Has anyone ever done this? I put an egg in the pocket of my down jacket this morning, picked up their frozen-solid water and brought it inside to refill the container with the liquid kind of water, leaned against the kitchen sink, and .... CRACK! I broke the egg in my pocket. Got a pocket full of yolk. So, while they are gracefully handling their transition to egg laying, I still am on a learning curve! (My down jacket is in the washing machine now...I need it!)

Kathleen

My silly chickens teach me something every day. So if there is a learning curve, its a big one
big_smile.png

At least they are relatively easy to own, raise, etc.

I have dropped a few eggs myself...really irks me too

hahahahahahahahahahahah:lau
i learned that lesson LONG LONG time ago as a kids.. i have had chickens my whole life..
BUT my hunny is just learning things like this.. he has put them in his PANTS pockets, and broken them... but he will STILL do it... i HAVE a basket for collecting the eggs,, he forgets the basket and there is too many to carry with just hands,, so he puts them in his pockets... i just laugh at him because he always does it....

I haven't done it yet - only a few are laying but I better get my basket soon or I will be in the same boat! I had 4 eggs on the passenger seat of my car today and almost lost one to the floor. I drive to the hen house in the mornings when it is cold. Hahaha !

I have an egg basket - but I forget to bring it with me half the time and put the eggs in my coat pocket as well. One morning I had two coat pockets full of eggs and my hands full of waterer and a treat bowl, so I hit the door of the house with my hip to close it and ..... I ended up with scrambled eggs in my coat pocket.

And I still forget to take the egg basket with me half the time
barnie.gif

Penny

My husband goes out with a box for the eggs, but he also doesn't do what i do. i don't have enough hands for the box., i go out with 2 jugs of water and hay for both chickens and goats, and food for the goats. i have not yet broke eggs in my coat pocket and that is where i put them when collecting, at night i go out with 2 jugs of water and food for goats and a bucket of feed for chickens every other night just to keep up and every other night i bring all them apples.

Back
Top Bottom