1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken leashes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fiddleblue, Dec 13, 2009.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I live in an urban area and have a completely enclosed chicken run. I would like to let my chickens out in the backyard to forage or even walk them on the sidewalk, and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of chicken leashes that might be used for this purpose. To keep the chickens from running off. I tried a couple dog and cat harnesses without luck: they weren't the right shape. I did note that the chickens really didn't like anything put around their neck, but maybe they'd get used to it if they got a chance to go forage. I thought a harness that looped around their neck on one end and around their tail and butt on the other might work. ANything so complicated as to need to go between their legs or under their wings I don't think will work as the ladies doth protest too much over that.

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    the lady that does the chicken diapers has made some that have an area to clip a leash onto them. see if you can find her link maybe in the buy sell trade area. she's very crafty

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds interesting! How about a 20 chicken team harnessed to a wagon![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh, the 'Cluck Wagon'!? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I know the folks the raise the game type chickens, put them out for grass on somthing called a tie cord, I have seen as many as 100 or more in fields or pastures, this keeps them from coming together I guess, Im sure they buy these some where, shoulnt be to hard to find on the p.c.

6. Chickie'sMoma

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i saw those tie things on ebay a few weeks ago and was scratching my head because i've only seen them used around birds kept for fighting on the animal police shows. made me a little concerned.

but now knowing that they aren't used just for the fighting birds, i don't think i have much of an issue.

7. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Hi there!

I don't know if yo found anything you like, but there are a couple sites with ideas. I use a small dog harness that goes around the wings. It took a while for my chickens to be ok with it, and some of them never really got it, but here are two pictures of my big black jersey giant who loves her leash ( i just bought a new leash and was checking to make sure it wasnt too heavy before taking off the tags
    [​IMG]

this is where I got the info for this
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/HarnessAndLeash.html

This link is for a great little harness that doesn't use the wings
    http://www.hensaver.com/Hen-Holster.html

8. misslys15

misslys15 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    We are debating on setting up something like this for a Christmas card picture. We have 9 hens, so it's perfect haha

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by