Chicken legs goin outward

PMFchickenguy

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2016
I have a chick who i named "Rose" and she has a little bit of a leg issue...i had to separate her from the rest of the flock and i can never returne her for she will never survive...what exactly is goin on with her and is there anyway to fix it...i want to give her the best possible life...this is the best pic i could get to show her legs

I have a chick who i named "Rose" and she has a little bit of a leg issue...i had to separate her from the rest of the flock and i can never returne her for she will never survive...what exactly is goin on with her and is there anyway to fix it...i want to give her the best possible life...this is the best pic i could get to show her legs
it looks like it may be dislocated. Did it happen recently or has she been a little spraddle legged for a while?

Both legs are doin it...as you can see one is worse the then the other and they have gotten worse...she cant walk normal either she uses her wings to help and she does alot of face plants...I have tried popping it back thinking it might me dislocated but it dont budge and just cause her pain and i also feel popping im her upper thigh...she doesnt seem to be im pain if let is left alone. I came into work and my friend and i notice her off to the side not really moving and when she was she would stumble and wobble but not get to the food...so we pulled her out and took care. Once we felt she was strong enough yet still walking funny (no pain though) we put her back with the flock and would check on her...she did pretty well for a while but then we saw her covered in muck and getting stepped on so we got her out and havnt put her back

X2
she may have been low man on the totem pole come meal times, if she's been like this for a while her legs will probably not align properly again, my own opinion is that she is a cull, as vitamins may help but if you're free ranging she might not have the get up and go to escape or protect herself. Sorry :(

I have a chicken who looked very much like yours. I took it home when no one else would thinking I would apply some spraddle leg techniques and vitamins. I was able to rotate the leg into place, but it would never stay. We had exercise sessions to help it move and develop some strength. Brought it to the vet who told us that this was indeed a deformity from birth and would not be fixed by my efforts. I know it is necessary at times to cull, but it fought others from birth to reach food and water, so I had to give it a chance. It hops and flaps with its left leg to the back and right leg twisted under its belly ( I can see the twist occurring in your chick's right leg too) and yes lands its face in the ground at times, but never gives up moving. We discovered it was a rooster and he is 5months old now. He is the sweetest thing, loves yogurt, gets along with our other chickens, flies out of the raised coop every morning and flies back in at night. I know it's not ideal for all, but it works for us. Good luck with your chick!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom