Chicken lethargic and green poop help!

Chickydad99

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
Took our girl to the vet today and they said everything seemed fine with her. Wanted to check her blood and do x rays to further check but was going to cost almost $600 for that! They ended up giving us antibiotics amoxicillin for her. Her poop is green and white and her comb is lighter and more white than usual. She was eating & drinking a little this morning before we separated her from the others but nothing since then. Anyone have a idea what this could be?

Attachments

• 27727D40-284A-40C7-A6FD-339161FCB286.jpeg
    27727D40-284A-40C7-A6FD-339161FCB286.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 12
  • 07F9014B-861D-430F-A64F-923CD39445FD.jpeg
    07F9014B-861D-430F-A64F-923CD39445FD.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 5
Sorry she is sick. Not sure about the green poop but I use fish antibiotic amoxicillin from Walmart online for my dogs. . It's good to lay in some chicken antibiotics for next time. There is always a next time...

Took our girl to the vet today and they said everything seemed fine with her. Wanted to check her blood and do x rays to further check but was going to cost almost $600 for that! They ended up giving us antibiotics amoxicillin for her. Her poop is green and white and her comb is lighter and more white than usual. She was eating & drinking a little this morning before we separated her from the others but nothing since then. Anyone have a idea what this could be?
Is she laying eggs?
How old is she?
Did the vet perform a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying. The yellow urates can sometimes be seen when there is a problem with the liver. I've seen it in hens that had reproductive issues. Cancer, tumors, EYP, etc. can be common.

Hopefully she will perk up with the antibiotics. Encourage her to drink, then see if she will eat for you.

She was laying but stopped about 3 weeks ago along with our 2 other girls. She’s about 8-9 months old. The vet did not perform a fecal test either. We gave her antibiotics tonight and gave her some water with a syringe. After a few minutes Of doing that she started eating and drinking out of her cup like normal! Seemed to pep her up! She’s asleep now so hoping she’s doing better in the morning!

You might check with the vet office if you can bring in a ziploc bag of fresh droppings, just to do the fecal float since they saw your chicken. It will cost extra, but helpful in case she has worms or coccidiosis. Note if her droppings continue to have the yellow urates instead of white. That can be from liver or reproductive infection as WR said.

Back
Top Bottom