Chicken lethargic, dazed & confused since very hot day 11 days ago. What could be wrong?

susanrk

Hatching
Feb 3, 2022
Lucille.jpg

Lucille is a RIR, will be 1 yr. old later this month. She's always been a normal healthy bird until 11 days ago when we had a very hot and humid day, temps in the mid-90s. I did what I always do on hot days - make sure everyone has shade, keep waterers full of cool water, a sprinkler in the chicken yard, baby pool with water, jugs of frozen water sitting in various places. All of the girls were struggling that day, but as I was giving each of them a "shower" (rubbing the cool water up under their wings and on their chests) in the sprinkler, I noticed that she did not struggle at all like most of the others did. Then I watched her and she slowly walked back into the shady area and just stood there with her head and tail both down and eyes closed.

I brought her inside the cool garage and let her rest in a dog crate, but she has not snapped out of it, so she's been in the garage ever since. I've been force-feeding her with a syringe every few hours - electrolyte and probiotics water and also egg yolk mixed with water and a little Poultry Cell. She does not eat or drink on her own. Still pooping, sometimes very watery with white globs, other times very dark greenish-black.

She keeps her eyes closed almost all of the time, but she'll open them when I squirt stuff into her beak. Then she'll keep them open and look around a bit - looks like she's high or something - and slowly walk around a very small area, then closes her eyes and shuts down again. I've also noticed a few times there are very small white chunky looking things on the edge of her lower eyelid when they are open. I was able to wipe one away with my finger.

I bring her crate out on the porch during the day when it's cool and breezy and I take her out and set her in the grass where she'll look around and walk slowly around for a few minutes and then shut down again. I'm positive the only reason she's still alive is because I'm syringe feeding her, which I will continue to do as long as I have to, but does anyone have any idea what this could be? Do you think she had a heat stroke that day and has brain damage? She doesn't seem to be suffering, but I have no idea. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I've also noticed a few times there are very small white chunky looking things on the edge of her lower eyelid when they are open. I was able to wipe one away with my finger.
Poor girl, she's not well.

Can you get some photos of the white chunky things on/in her eye?

When was her last egg?

Look her over for lice/mites.
I agree, see if her crop is emptying overnight as well.

Check her crop early in the morning and see if her crop emptied. How full is her crop now? Is her abdomen bloated at all?
Her crop has been small and soft, no abdominal bloating. She has been pooping all along, usually whenever I give her a syringe feeding. Not laying eggs of course.

Poor girl, she's not well.

Can you get some photos of the white chunky things on/in her eye?

When was her last egg?

Look her over for lice/mites.
I agree, see if her crop is emptying overnight as well.
This was not an easy photo to get!! You can see a couple tiny white chunks on the inside edge of the lower lid. The one I had wiped away was a little bigger. So far I've only noticed them in her left eye.

She used to lay an egg almost every day, but I hadn't really paid that much attention so it's possible she stopped laying prior to that hot day. I have about 20 other assorted breed laying hens too so I might have missed it. She definitely has not laid an egg since this illness began.

I've checked for mites/lice/bugs and haven't found any.

Crop is totally flat.

Attachments

• 293566840_2224311571066781_4026011114283679888_n.jpg
    293566840_2224311571066781_4026011114283679888_n.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 4
Looks like she may have a bit of swelling around the eye too.
I'd try flushing the eye with saline and push out the white material which looks like pus. The white things don't move do they? After you clean out the eye, then apply an eye ointment like Terramcyin in the eye or if you can't get that, you can use Original Neosporin.

I'd re-check to see if her crop is emptying overnight. If she's not been laying eggs, then she may be having some reproductive difficulties.

Where are you located in the world?

Back
Top Bottom