Chicken Lethargic since weather has gotten colder

Thelastchicken

Hatching
Nov 11, 2015
Our flock has dwindled down to 2 birds, they are both 5 years old and Americana and Rode Island red. We are looking for a new flock for them to join, but Dotty, the red, has become lethargic for the last 4 or 5 days, just since the temp dropped. She is still eating and drinking, has had poop on her feathers. We have given them probiotic and she was looking better yesterday, but when I let her out today she just stood around, keeping close to Hawk the Americana. We have not quarantined Dotty since there are just 2 of them and are worried more about them being alone. The question I have is should we bring them both inside overnight to perhaps get dotty warmer? Will it make a difference?

Being that old I would bring them inside though I will never have to do this because I am in Australia. I would higher her protein intake (sunflower seeds and scambled egg) I would happily take your two older hens but I am in Australia.

We did bring them in, and Dotty died. We did all that we could for her, but it didn't make any difference. We are looking for a new flock for Hawk , but not having much luck. She is broody if locked inside and is in ghe nesting box and wants to be with us when she is roaming the yard. If she can't find us she sits on our porch or in the flowerbed by the stairs that lead to porch, they have never done that before. My husband is very concerned that someone will eat her if we give her away so we are looking for the right flock to take her, I think that she is lonely.

Sorry to hear about dotty. :hugs

It could be that Hawk is lonely. I hope you can find her some lovely companions soon.

Back
Top Bottom