Chicken Lice Eggs???

ellie287

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2020
Hello all! I have an angel of a silkie named Ruth and she has had issues with lice this past Summer. I check her regularly to see if they are crawling around on her because I can see them pretty well even if they're tiny. I haven’t seen any on her for weeks, but there are definitely still eggs on her feathers. There are very few, but they will not go away and I am afraid the treatments we've done haven't worked and they will hatch and cause issues all over again.

Does anyone know how long the eggs stay on feathers? If the treatments we’ve done kill the eggs do we have to wait for her to molt her feathers for them to come off of the base?

Thanks on advanced for any advice.

What are you using for a treatment?

We are using diatomaceous earth in the coop and making sure the bedding is cleaned out completely weekly. She also has gotten baths in dawn soap since that is supposed to kill them and sprinkle a little of the diatomaceous earth in her feathers as well. It’s worked wonders so far, but I’m worried about the few eggs left.

Thanks

Some people say that DE doesn't work at all.
I personally use DE and haven't had any problems. But DE won't kill everything and it won't kill the eggs.
Most people will recommend permethrin.

I have never had any luck with DE. I had some birds that were badly infested with mites. I used the DE for a couple of weeks. I bought a 50# bag of it. The birds didn't improve and were looking terrible. I then started treating the birds with permethrin. Slowly the birds started improving and getting their feathers back in. Permethrin does not kill the pests eggs so repeated treatments are necessary. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. Are you sure they are lice and not mites? I have also used a flea comb to get the eggs off of the feathers. You need to treat the birds weekly for 3 or 4 weeks. This will kill the pests eggs when they hatch. I use poultry dust with permethrin in my nest boxes. You can spray the birds or dust them making them to look like a powdered doughnut. Good luck...
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

PermethrinDoses.PNG

Back
Top Bottom