Chicken lice ?

Cassie92

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
I'm still fairly new to keeping chickens. I have 9 laying hens right now , I noticed the other day one of them has a bare looking butt. There is some poop stuck to the feathers under the vent. I looked closer and noticed what look like lice (according to pictures on google) as well as little grey ball looking things around the base of some feathers. She doesn't seem overly bothered by it but its something I would like to get cleared up. That being said I plan to treat all 9 of them with diatomaceous earth , cleaning the coop and run really well. Is there anything else I should do . It was recommended that I bath them . Any tips , tricks or advice on that? Water temp do I use soap ect.

I would treat with invermectin or Permethrin dust spray instead of DE. Repeat after 10 days to be sure you killed everything. Also change out the bedding every time you treat, including nesting boxes.

I would treat with invermectin or Permethrin dust spray instead of DE. Repeat after 10 days to be sure you killed everything. Also change out the bedding every time you treat, including nesting boxes.
What about bathing at least the one that has poo stuck? Its a hard ball I don't want to just pull it off.

What about bathing at least the one that has poo stuck? Its a hard ball I don't want to just pull it off.
I'm not sure what your weather is like. I have 1 hen who has a fluffy butt and gets poo stuck often. I just wash her bottom, not bathe her completely. If it's cold make sure you dry her completely before putting her back out.

Back
Top Bottom