Chicken life span?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    We haven't had eggs in three days. Hubby says its because the girls are nearing the end of their life span. We just got them a year ago, and they started laying after we bought them. I have three red sex links, a EE mutt, and RIR. We raised the RIR from a chick.

They could be molting, huh? Tail feathers on some of the RSL are looking less than great. If it's not a molt, any other ideas? Thanks!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most likely entering molt. Egg production likely to resume on other side as day length starts to increase.

3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm assuming it's the chickens first year laying. Some like to provide additional protein via treats to help the chickens along since molting takes a lot out of them.

Some good material to go over regarding non-laying hens.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw565/

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens don't lay as much over the winter because of the shortening photo period...that's why some people add artificial light to their coops during winter.

I don't think your RIR could be done laying at only a year old. As for the other hens, do you know how old they were when you got them? Depending on breed, chickens can live quite a long time and keep laying, although they do slow down as they get older (like all of us).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=805643

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Chickens can live to be 8 to 10 years old from what I read. I don't think a chicken will just automatically stop laying though. I believe it just slows down and then will stop. With shorter days and a possible molt... I would bet on that for the reason.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens can live into their teens. What you are seeing is a seasonal change in laying. If you don't add supplemental light, most chickens molt and then stop laying during the winter. As the days start to get longer again, they will start laying again.

Their first winter laying, pullets will often lay through the winter, without supplemental light. After that, they have the normal seasonal rhythms of an adult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by