Chicken life!

Stephanie-n-Hayden

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Hi all! I am a 20 year old mother of one from Elizabethtown KY. We were in TSC this past spring to get...heck, I don't even remember now...but it was the week before Easter and as you all know, they had all kinds of baby farm animals there. Ducks, chickens, rabbits... We have a new 12 acre "farm" with no farm animals yet. My husband and I had been discussing what to do with this new farm. I particularly do not want to raise animals to eat, even though he claims it is the most sensible thing to do with a farm. I am too much of an animal lover, and have successfully passed this trait on to my 5 year old son. So, while in TSC, my son begged us to get him some chickens. I have never been a bird owner of any kind, I had no idea what to do with them but I was like, let's do this! So, we bought hime 6 chicks. Then, I came home and frantically started searching the internet to find info. about chicken care. Found this site and BAM! I am well on my way to being a chicken farmer. It has been such a learning experience for me and my family. I have learned lots about chickens, and how heart-breaking it is to loose one to a preditor.
I became lovingly attached to my bantam roo, Ricky. He was very sweet and I felt I had a "connection" with him. After letting them do some free-ranging, Ricky did not return to the coop one evening. After an extended search, we realized he was probably taken my a hawk. I cried for days. I literally mean days! I became so depressed, that the thought of him, looking at pictures, and talking about it, would bring me to tears. I was able to finally deal with my loss with the help of fellow chicken lovers such as yourselves. So......to make a long story short..... Thank you to everyone on this site for all of the TLC you provide for us fellow chicken lovers.
We now have our first batch of baby banty chicks from one of our originally bought TSC pullets and we are so very happy!
I LOVE CHICKENS!!!!! And BYC'ers are the only one's who actually GET me....

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

Congrats on getting chickens. Sorry you learned about predators the hard way.

Imp

Welcome to you and yes, we can chat all day long about our chickens. Please post pictures of your new flock, we would love to see them.

Back
Top Bottom