Chicken limping extremely bad, falling on herself and staying sitting.

ashlkfnl

Chirping
Sep 22, 2021
Southeast Kansas
Hello!
I have some 20-21 week old Rhode Island Reds. They all were walking fine until one day one of my girls started favoring one leg and limping badly. I thought maybe she stepped on something and I examined her foot and nothing seemed amiss. Fast forward a week or so and she is now falling when she walks, limping, can’t balance, and prefers to sit a lot. I am concerned about her well being. I feed her and water her and I’ve seen her eat and drink, but I don’t know if her leg is broken or not. I have looked at it and there is no swelling, no cuts, it’s just not working ? Please help!

Hello!
I have some 20-21 week old Rhode Island Reds. They all were walking fine until one day one of my girls started favoring one leg and limping badly. I thought maybe she stepped on something and I examined her foot and nothing seemed amiss. Fast forward a week or so and she is now falling when she walks, limping, can’t balance, and prefers to sit a lot. I am concerned about her well being. I feed her and water her and I’ve seen her eat and drink, but I don’t know if her leg is broken or not. I have looked at it and there is no swelling, no cuts, it’s just not working ? Please help!
Id look into a vet, give her some electrolytes and viatmins and look at her leg again, could you show a picture? It could possibly be swollen?

Id look into a vet, give her some electrolytes and viatmins and look at her leg again, could you show a picture? It could possibly be swollen?
It isn’t swollen compared to her other leg, she’s been moving around minimally in her “recovery enclosure” (a stock tank with food, water, and woodchips) here are some photos. It is her right leg. When she sits, the leg splays out behind her.
1D21CB22-70FA-4A3A-B103-2273BED17523.jpeg
6ECB2EE4-3C5C-42BA-9933-32BFD2314DEB.jpeg

It isn’t swollen compared to her other leg, she’s been moving around minimally in her “recovery enclosure” (a stock tank with food, water, and woodchips) here are some photos. It is her right leg. When she sits, the leg splays out behind her. View attachment 2845140View attachment 2845141
Thank you for the pic. I dont see anything wrong with her, id just suggest keeping up on electrolytes/vitamins. It doesnt look like mites, swollen, or anything like that. could she have stepped on something to cause a limp?

Thank you for the pic. I dont see anything wrong with her, id just suggest keeping up on electrolytes/vitamins. It doesnt look like mites, swollen, or anything like that. could she have stepped on something to cause a limp?
It is possible, but not likely. They are in an enclosed run made out of decking boards and wood chips. I think it was dislocated or broken from jumping? I checked on her today and she was on her side sleeping. Is that normal? She woke up just fine and I stood her up and she sat back down. I am trying to make her as comfy as possible (building a nest, moving her food and water closer to her, etc.) Here are some pics.
312DAD93-A616-4082-B15A-AD4241B8BC85.jpeg
She has been enjoying some minced apple (her favorite). Right now I am trying to keep her comfortable (think: chicken hospice) She has been breathing rapidly and can’t stand or bend her leg forward anymore. Should I wait, or try and find a way to humanely euthanize her ?

It is possible, but not likely. They are in an enclosed run made out of decking boards and wood chips. I think it was dislocated or broken from jumping? I checked on her today and she was on her side sleeping. Is that normal? She woke up just fine and I stood her up and she sat back down. I am trying to make her as comfy as possible (building a nest, moving her food and water closer to her, etc.) Here are some pics. View attachment 2846065She has been enjoying some minced apple (her favorite). Right now I am trying to keep her comfortable (think: chicken hospice) She has been breathing rapidly and can’t stand or bend her leg forward anymore. Should I wait, or try and find a way to humanely euthanize her ?
No dont ethunize her, it could be other issues right now, just make sure she is comfortable. Side sleeping is normal, they do it while dust bathing, sun bathing, But it could also be befpcause of a issue

Back
Top Bottom