Chicken limping extremely bad, falling on herself and staying sitting.

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? How old is she? That is common in young chickens or ones exposed to a new added carrier. Here is some reading about the 4 types of Mareks symptoms:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
She was 20 or so weeks old, and I introduced some new chicks from another farm that free ranges. I wonder if they transmitted it to her? They both experienced similar symptoms before dying. None of my other chickens are displaying symptoms.

She was 20 or so weeks old, and I introduced some new chicks from another farm that free ranges. I wonder if they transmitted it to her? They both experienced similar symptoms before dying. None of my other chickens are displaying symptoms.
I forgot to mention, shortly before her death she could not see very well, when I fed her bugs, she would try and peck at them but miss. One of her wings hung limp too. After reading up on Marek’s, I think that’s what she had. I will be getting vaccinations for my chickens if possible.

So sorry for your loss. What is your location? In the US most state veterinarians will do testing and a necropsy to look for common diseases. If that is not possible, sometimes doing a home necropsy to look at the abdominal organs, taking pictures, will give a few hints. One type of Mareks causes a grey eye with a small irregular shaped pupil that leads to blindness. That type if not always seen. If you do get vaccinated chicks, it takes about 2 weeks for the vaccine to make them immune. So keep them away from the chickens or any dander or dust that could contain the Mareks virus. The chicks will still become carriers and may still succumb to the disease one days, but the vaccine is the best protection.

So sorry for your loss. What is your location? In the US most state veterinarians will do testing and a necropsy to look for common diseases. If that is not possible, sometimes doing a home necropsy to look at the abdominal organs, taking pictures, will give a few hints. One type of Mareks causes a grey eye with a small irregular shaped pupil that leads to blindness. That type if not always seen. If you do get vaccinated chicks, it takes about 2 weeks for the vaccine to make them immune. So keep them away from the chickens or any dander or dust that could contain the Mareks virus. The chicks will still become carriers and may still succumb to the disease one days, but the vaccine is the best protection.
Thank you. I am located in Kansas, but the vet near me doesn’t do avian care. I am far away from every other vet, but I will try my best to protect my flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom