Chicken Limping/Falling Down

UrbanChickenMama

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Hello All,

I noticed yesterday that one of my chickens is limping/falling down when trying to get around. I thoroughly inspected her and see nothing physically wrong with her - no bumps, bruises, scrapes, punctures, etc... nostrils and eyes are clear (no signs of illness). When I threw some scratch out, she came out and layed down to eat it. Then when I walked toward her I noticed that she's falling all over the place. Her toes seems to be curling under and then she falls down on her legs.

She hasn't been laying since their early winter molt and since she's one of two newest additions to our flock its not age. She's a red mix of some sort (RIR or red sex link) and is supposed to be our best layer. This tipped me off to something being wrong. Additionally, she's not been getting up on the roost for the last week. Probably due to the same thing that's causing her to limp/fall.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be and what I should do? We were watching her a bit more today and she was out and about with the rest of the flock, but she just falls.

Thanks for your help/ideas in advance!
Concerned Urban Chicken Mama

Oh and I forgot to mention she feels really skinny...
sad.png

I found another post from back in January where people recommended quarantine. So I just did that and gave her fresh water with Vit-E & ACV & some scrambled eggs. I'll go to the store for more supplies in the AM.

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated!

at a minimum i would take her in, keep her warm and isolated, offer her as much healthy food as possible and liquids like you're offering.

it sounds like it COULD be Marek's disease or probably a host of other things but I don't want to cause unnecessary concern as I'm not an expert. many people would likely cull her immediately for fear of contagious disease... i usually isolate them, keep them warm, nurse them and sometimes take them to the vet. i have saved some chickens from death who went on to live many years and i've lost many. by the time a chicken shows sign of disease, i have learned that if you want to save them you should act immediately. i'm learning how to nurse them at home and do what most vets do - heat, inject fluids under skin, give pain killer and sometimes antibiotics or wormers.

I hate to mention it but I once lost one with suspicious symptoms, and had the body sent to the state lab for necropsy, it was a $100 ish fee in CA and they tested all tissues, organs, for contagious disease. i recommend it if you lose a hen. wishing you luck.

try vitamin B12, B complexe vitamins. helps with neurologic disorders-straight from the horses mouth - a doctor i work with. good luck and it worked for one of my hens when she suddenly was unable to walk

Back
Top Bottom