Chicken listing w/ ruffled feathers, droopy wing & comb

Ansley Chick

Hatching
9 Years
May 14, 2010
I have a RIR that is about 6 months old. I noticed her wing drooping in the coop last night while they were perched. I thought she was just holding it out because it was hot, and when I touched it to see if she could move it, she pecked me! I just thought she was being her difficult self. This afternoon I noticed her comb was drooped over and she wasn't her spunky self. Upon further observation, I noticed she was ruffling her feathers and was walking a little sideways. Then she just stood still and stared at things, and when she approached me, she turned in circles a couple of times. I tried looking these symptoms up in my Chicken Health Handbook, I saw lots of things with one of these symptoms, but nothing with all of them. She doesn't have diarrhea, or an excess of white on her poop. I have quaranteened her from the other birds, but need ideas on what it could be and how to treat it, if treatable. I have not tried any remedies at this time. She free ranges during the day in our garden. All the spring plants have been fenced off so they won't eat, but I noticed her and my other RRI eating leaves off my tomato plants through the fence this morning. She stays in a coop w/ a roost at night. Please help if you can.

Chicken behavior not like that in the thread. It has been a few days since initial posting, and I noticed last evening, that her comb has started turning purple at the tips. I noticed tonight that it has gotten more pronounced and my other RIR's comb has started to turn purple as well. I have started giving them all vitamins and electrolytes, plus I gave them Bird Powder in their food yesterday. I haven't noticed any nasal discharge or wheezing, but they do sound a little croupy when they make noises. I have tried to look for mites and lice, and can't find anything on them or in the coup (I dusted the coup w/ DE a couple of weeks ago, because I found some tiny red bugs, I assumed were mites, and haven't seen them since). The initial sick bird seems to be more alert now and making fewer strange maneuvers, but I am getting pretty worried here . . . I don't want to lose any of my girls, but whatever this is, seems to be progressing.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow and post if that will help. Please help if you can.

Back
Top Bottom