Chicken head twitching

She’s a 8 month old hen
She has no other symptoms
Her ears look fine
Is functional and not lethargic or anything
A little more cautious with quick movements like jumping off or on things
Is it just a vitamin deficiency
I see no external injury

The picture below is an egg I found the other day might create a separate thread for that situation but I have no idea who laid it could’ve possibly been her I opened it up and it didn’t have layers like a lash egg but was hollow and was filled with rotten smelling and looking yolk
Probably a rotten and deformed egg? Not sure if that counts as a symptom since I’m not sure if it was her 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Looks like Lash Egg a.k.a. Salpingitis.
If it's rotten smelling, then she's got an infection. If you have vet care, that would be good.

You can try giving an antibiotic to see if it helps, but often there's no cure for reproductive infections and disorders. Medication can help offer support and comfort and may extend life.

I'd feed her a nutritionally balanced feed, limit treats, provide oyster shell and grit free choice.
Get her on vitamins for a couple of weeks. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg for the uptake of E.

Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and that she has not lice or mites.

I gave her a vitamin e pill but I squeezed the juice out into her mouth instead of putting the whole thing in there and gave her some scrambled egg yesterday
She’s already doing so much better today but I’ll continue to give her vitamins for the couple of weeks
Also I’m going to conclude she did not lay that egg it was a different chicken but I’ll try to get some antibiotics for that one
Muffin thanks you for your help :)

Attachments

• IMG_5252.jpeg
    IMG_5252.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 8
I gave her a vitamin e pill but I squeezed the juice out into her mouth instead of putting the whole thing in there and gave her some scrambled egg yesterday
She’s already doing so much better today but I’ll continue to give her vitamins for the couple of weeks
Also I’m going to conclude she did not lay that egg it was a different chicken but I’ll try to get some antibiotics for that one
Muffin thanks you for your help :)
There's no need to squeeze out the oil from the gel cap, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow it.

I'm glad she's doing better, but I'd keep up with the vitamin E and B-Complex daily for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom