1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken loosing feathers,and biting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ortiz5954, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Ortiz5954

Ortiz5954 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Hey everyone,
    One of my girls is loosing feathers, first started on neck but I thought those was from rooster because they are slowly growing back but now she has a bare bottom.Started biting also.Suggestions,concerns?[​IMG]
    Thanks!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old is she, sounds like a molt, whether partial of full, she's biting because it hurts them to be touched during a molt and they don't feel well, best to leave her be for a while.

3. Ortiz5954

Ortiz5954 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Thx,
    She's 8 months,I am puzzled was torn between that and her missing the roo that just passed and was bored, or her getting mad after my husband took the egg she was sitting on. It was the last of what we thought was fertile eggs and we had them marked but he had no clue so we kept hiding em back in there.She wasn't sitting on it all the time though and we are not 100% it was fertile but she made quiet a fuss.In the meantime we are putting some boredom busters out there and we will keep our distance from her for now. Thx for the tip on touching I learned something new with molting!!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is she broody, does she puff up and screech at you. They will also bite when broody, or sometimes when taking eggs out from under them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by