Chicken loosing feathers around comb. Is it mites?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have a chicken from April that are starting to loose some feathers around its comb. They are growing back but is it just a mini molt or what? She is not laying yet. But she is acting fine and normal. In the picture you can tell she is white and that is where her new feathers are growing in but is it dangerous or a sigh of illness?

Attachments

• A762FACA-C1DC-40C3-AC29-8BBA790F9AF6.jpeg
    A762FACA-C1DC-40C3-AC29-8BBA790F9AF6.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 16
She is just molting, nothing to worry about.
To help her through it you can give feed with more protein in it, 20% is good.
thank you for your answer. She is the only one molting though so should I still do it or just give her some extra protein snacks? And if so do you have some good things to give?😊

X2 you can feed them half pellets half higher protein, esp of your hens aren't laying since it's winter. It will be a boost in nutrition to help replace her feathers. Pick her up now before she loses more feathers to gauge her weight and then keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't drop too much weight.

X2 you can feed them half pellets half higher protein, esp of your hens aren't laying since it's winter. It will be a boost in nutrition to help replace her feathers. Pick her up now before she loses more feathers to gauge her weight and then keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't drop too much weight.
Thank you for your answer. I will do that first thing tomorrow. But how to I check her weight after I pick her up,what do I feel for?😊

Thank you for your answer. I will do that first thing tomorrow. But how to I check her weight after I pick her up,what do I feel for?😊
What I do is pick up a another hen that's healthy, she should feel solid in your hands. Then pick up the molting one, if she feels the same then that's your gauge. If you do weekly body weight checks you'll get used to how they feel in your hands. When you pick them up, let their wings free, they'll flap a little and then most settle down. I do have one that's still a bit hard, but I'm slowly winning her over.

What I do is pick up a another hen that's healthy, she should feel solid in your hands. Then pick up the molting one, if she feels the same then that's your gauge. If you do weekly body weight checks you'll get used to how they feel in your hands. When you pick them up, let their wings free, they'll flap a little and then most settle down. I do have one that's still a bit hard, but I'm slowly winning her over.
Thank you for the answer. That really helped😊

Back
Top Bottom