Chicken loosing feathers on back

jjwave

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 29, 2009
I have a few hens who are developing bare spots on their backs, I assume it is from the rooster when he mates with them. I noticed today one of the hens was getting too raw and had some bleeding on her back. Not sure what I should do. Isolate the hens or rooster?
Appreciate any advice, thank you.

The ratio should be about 10 -12 hens to 1 rooster and even then he could wear off the back feathers on his favorite hens. Remove the rooster if you don't need fertilized eggs or put aprons on your hens.

I have 24 hens and 2 roosters. The primary rooster is dominant over the other.

Sounds like you need some chicken saddles...do a search on here, I believe someone posted instructions on how to make them. I've used denim ones (that I purchased online) and they work like a charm.

I would separate hens and roosters until everyone is healed. Hens missing back feathers have no protection during future matings and may get wounded. You can find directions and measurements for saddles in "Story's Guide to Raising Chickens". You will also want to trim the roosters nails with toe nail clippers and round them off with an emory board.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom