Chicken losing feathers?

gman519

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 11, 2010
I have 2 Buff's and one of them seems to be losing it's feathers around its rear end and lower back. Is it the other chicken pecking or do you think something else is causing the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hello.
welcome-byc.gif
from ct.!
sounds like your chicken maybe going thru the molting phaze.

It could be moult. But I recommend you physically pick her up and visually inspect her for lice/mites, especially around her vent area. If it's trully feather picking, then there's something lacking in their diet. In that case I'd recommend poultry nutri drench added to their water for about 4-5 days. It's loaded with minerals and vitamins. Your feed store should carry it or Tractor Supply Co. (TSC). Welcome to BYC.

had something similar happen to my gal, she was being pecked clean by my rir who is now the top chicken in the order.... Her vent is still recovering after a couple months.... I recommend adding extra protein to the diet... Dry cat food, meat only baby food, MEAT she can peck at, even their own eggs.... I was told calloidial silver didn't spell that right but you can google it... If there is another chicken doing this maybe separate the aggressive one from the others!!! Hope this helps!!!

Back
Top Bottom