Chicken losing feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gman519, Oct 11, 2010.

1. gman519

gman519 New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    I have 2 Buff's and one of them seems to be losing it's feathers around its rear end and lower back. Is it the other chicken pecking or do you think something else is causing the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    [​IMG] from ct.!
    sounds like your chicken maybe going thru the molting phaze.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They are going threw a molt ,they will look all nice and new in a few months.
    [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be moult. But I recommend you physically pick her up and visually inspect her for lice/mites, especially around her vent area. If it's trully feather picking, then there's something lacking in their diet. In that case I'd recommend poultry nutri drench added to their water for about 4-5 days. It's loaded with minerals and vitamins. Your feed store should carry it or Tractor Supply Co. (TSC). Welcome to BYC.

5. gman519

gman519 New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    Thank you for the responses! I find this site to be very useful.

6. clucker's r us

clucker's r us Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    el cajon, ca.
    had something similar happen to my gal, she was being pecked clean by my rir who is now the top chicken in the order.... Her vent is still recovering after a couple months.... I recommend adding extra protein to the diet... Dry cat food, meat only baby food, MEAT she can peck at, even their own eggs.... I was told calloidial silver didn't spell that right but you can google it... If there is another chicken doing this maybe separate the aggressive one from the others!!! Hope this helps!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by