Chicken lost half her skin

My old neighbor had a horse that got a big chunk ripped out of him by an irrigation pipe, he kept blukote on that and it completely healed. I saw someone else recommend blukote.

That poor chicken, I'm so glad you took her in. How she was injured is terrible, let alone leaving her without treatment for 4 days. 🤯

OK. Has she improved at all? Any signs of healing?

That person who gave her to you... where did they leave her? Have you told them that it was awful to leave her like that? (Sorry don't mean to be nosy. I just HATE it when people are so cruel.)

OK. Has she improved at all? Any signs of healing?

That person who gave her to you... where did they leave her? Have you told them that it was awful to leave her like that? (Sorry don't mean to be nosy. I just HATE it when people are so cruel.)

She's doing great so far. Eating and drinking a lot, tolerates being handled and letting me apply Hen Healer all over. She's resting a lot, but when I check on her she seems relaxed and alert. The smell is reduced this morning.

And I didn't say a word to them, I just wanted to get her out of there. She was jammed in a cage for travel, with a sick duck and two other (healthy) hens. I have them all now.

If she starts to show signs that she’s failing, I would euthanize as well. There would be no point in dragging it out. I’m usually pretty quick to put a chicken down if it appears to be suffering (@azygous will definitely do more to save a chicken than I do), because I don’t think it’s right to let them suffer any longer than necessary while trying to save them. I think you’ll see in the next day or so if she is going downhill. Do watch her eyes. They will tell you before anything else how she’s doing.

What have you done so far? She needs antibiotics, STAT. Call a farm supply store for some amoxycillon, or order Baytril online (https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-2-5). Liberally spray the wound with a wound cleaning solution (doesn't have to be for animals, just get some from any pharmacy), get some NON-STICK trauma pads and put against the wounds, and wrap her body securely, but not too tight, with Vet wrap or the human equivalent (https://www.chewy.com/3m-vetrap-hor...MI0LfKju6d7QIVAYzICh16dA3MEAQYAiABEgLb-vD_BwE)

If you're wanting to save her, it is absolutely critical that the wound is kept MOIST, or you will radically increase her healing time.

Please keep her quality of life in mind. She is in pain, and if this is too much for her or for you, it is reasonable to put her down.

How is the sick duck doing? I’ll keep these animals in my prayers! Blu kote could worke too. I used it in my duck when he got attacked by a dog and left two punctures on my duck. Blukote seals the wound to prevent infection
The duck is doing great! Aside from some sneezing, he's perfectly happy and acting normal. I also added an update to the original post about the hen, too much detail to go into! :)

Back
Top Bottom