1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken lover outside Baltimore, MD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DitziChick, Jul 22, 2013.

1. DitziChick

DitziChick Hatching

Mar 19, 2013
    Ellicott City, MD
    Hey there new friends! I'm still new to the chicken world, although I have two 3-yr-old Dominiques, 3 Phoenix bantam pullets, 1 D'Uccle mille fleur pullet and two Golden Sebright roos. I raised the Dominques to help with a program at a historic house museum in Western Md. My job moved, so the girls haven't been in the program, but I sure love the hens. I moved them to a farm animal sanctuary to be part of the education program there, and got six straight run bantams for my coop at home. I thought I had five pullets and one roo, but now both Sebrights are crowing. They startle much easier than the Dominiques, but they are so cute. I would have them in the house, but we have two cats.

My husband claims he hates chickens, but he helps with them and seems to enjoy them when we are outside. I loved building the small A-frame coop and learning how to best care for birds. I trained and showed dogs for over 25 years. I never really liked birds until I thought they are ideal as portable (small) farm animals for education programs. Now they are just spoiled pets! I really enjoy spending time with them.

I'm hoping to meet some folks in MD to share information, etc.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging 7 Years

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

There are many here who find chickens to be very endearing

5. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

Every one of my birds is a character with its own personality. Around 100 little feathered sillies.
    :love

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Ditzie Chick, I used to breed and show Cockers many years ago, what breed did you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: