Chicken Madam Discovers Her "Working Girls." or Which Egg For What Chicken?

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
Yes. I did. I sat in the heat, inside my (their) chicken pen, on a wood log, while my Easter Egger, Joy; Rock Barred, Sweetie and Golden Laced Wyandotte, Sugar, were in the egg box stalls, respectively. This is how I finally found out exactly which egg came from what chicken. Well, somewhere here or there, I've read the advice that said because of the pecking order, really only 1 laying box is needed for around ten chickens. (No doubt this was probably the advice of a chicken dad!) So..... I thought I was doing well to have THREE laying boxes.
So tell me, ladies, have you ever been in a women's LONG bathroom line? Well I have. And apparently, this is what I witnessed yesterday! One of my Golden Sex Links, Leann was making a terrible racket, stretching her neck and honking, almost like a goose! It was obvious to me that she was honking at Sugar in the third stall of the laying box! The Wyandotte was taking WAY TOO LONG for Leann, who was waiting to lay her egg. As Sugar got out, I took her egg, while it was still warm, and I was surprised to see that there was another egg in the box. That other egg had to be from one of my other Golden Sex Links, as my other girls were busy working on their own eggs. Watching this and recording their shapes and colors was the only way that I could tell for sure which egg came from what chicken. At any rate, my girls are really starting to work now, and I'm now happy to note that my beautiful Golden Laced Wyandotte is finally laying eggs along with her sisters. They seem to be happy and all is well. The last picture shows my own little chart with the accurate eggs label with the correct hen's names.

Attachments

• IMG_5167.JPG
    IMG_5167.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5069.JPG
    IMG_5069.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5189.JPG
    IMG_5189.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5199 (1).JPG
    IMG_5199 (1).JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 6
You go girl! That is cool you know which belongs to whom. My two EE just started laying, olive and mint green, so easy for me to tell. Next up 2 BO and 2 SLW at 16 weeks I have a few more weeks to wait. I may be coming to you for advice! None are showing signs as of yet. I saw your GLW egg and figured it will probably be similar in color.

You go girl! That is cool you know which belongs to whom. My two EE just started laying, olive and mint green, so easy for me to tell. Next up 2 BO and 2 SLW at 16 weeks I have a few more weeks to wait. I may be coming to you for advice! None are showing signs as of yet. I saw your GLW egg and figured it will probably be similar in color.
No worries. I think. I must reiterate here that there are so many chicken experts who know a lot more than I do. I'm also a first time chicken mommy. However, I'm learning from the experts here. Now, that I have a little experience under my belt I CAN give SOME advice. I WAS concerned about my Golden Laced Wyandotte (GLW) for a while, as she was the heaviest and largest bird, but waited until she was at least 26 weeks to have her very first egg. I was beginning to think that maybe SHE was a HE! Until I finally saw her sitting in the egg box. I can't tell you how thrilled I was, just to see her there. A couple of days before this, I noticed her watching the other girls, and walking in front of the egg box. So I wouldn't worry too much. They will lay when they're ready.:)

Back
Top Bottom