Chicken makes a weird hiccup kind of noise??

xanggex

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Hi, my hen has actually been making this noise for a while now. Usually it's not every day- maybe 4 or 5 times out of the week though. Most of the time this lasts for a really long time, practically the whole day. I have a link to a video of her doing this. She'll do it, won't for a minute or so, then will start back up again. I've been reading about gapeworm, but I'm not really sure it that's what it is.

Skip to around 20 seconds, and once it's around 40 she's pretty much done for that segment. But it can get really loud to the point where I'm in my room upstairs and I can hear her outside. Please Help!!

Oh, when I said the noise lasts practically the whole day, i really should have said a couple of hours. Not sure why I said that haha, sorry

Well that's weird!

Have you wormed this chicken before?

How old is it? Do you have any other chickens? Does it free range?

Does she shake her head or scratch at her head a lot?

How is eating and drinking?

also birds are extremely sensitive to chemicals in the air, I notice you have your chicken inside, it could be the smells of your cleaners, or scented candles, even windex, air freshener, and things like that,,, if it happens out side maybe it is just allergies? just my 2cnts

To Blackberry Farm, I have not wormed her or any other ones we have. We have 4 other hens and did originally have a rooster but he died- he seemed to have something genetically wrong with him since he was a chick. But this hen was making the weird noises long before he died. We got them all in March as chicks from a Tractor Supply. We have a pen outside that's pretty big that they walk around in. The only time she shakes her head is when someone talks- they all do that. And they all seem to eat and drink perfectly fine.

To laceynoelle, I'm not really sure, she just does it all the time and it gets SO loud

To bald k9, Normally we never have them inside, aside from when they were chicks, but my sister just brought her inside to show me that she wouldn't stop making the noise, I guess it was really annoying her. I didn't know chickens could have allergies haha! What would they be allergic to?

my roo was doing this 2 weeks ago,turned out he had gapeworm,does yours open and gape the mouth often??
heres a vid to my roo doing it

The only time she'll ever do what your roo was doing is when she makes that noise. Other than that she just acts normal. Yeah I read somewhere else about a chicken having gapeworm, but it didn't seem to be the same as what was up with my hen haha.

My girls have had the sneezes, and although they will all sneeze differently that is definitely NOT a sneeze. Sounds more like a cough to me, like she's trying to clear something, so gapeworm would fit.

Okay, if it is gapeworm, I have a couple questions about it.
There's medicine for it or something like that? How much is it, and where can you get it?
If it wasn't gapeworm, and I gave her the medicine, would that hurt her in any way?

Back
Top Bottom