Chicken making weird noise !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carmen chicks, Apr 9, 2012.

1. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Hi, my rhode island red hen is about a year old and is running about with the other hens but she is making this 'growling' noise, its not too loud you have to go near hear to near it, please tell me what it is.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

My boys do that, and also broody hens do that...

It's a noise they can make, but if you can get a good look at her be sure she has no breathing problems or discharge from the nose or eyes.

3. cadams

cadams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Tom Bean Tx
    My Silkie roo meows like a cat some times. weird

4. Afterburner

Afterburner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    My EE 'roars' like a lion after laying an egg. She also purrs like a kitten when I stroke her plumage.

5. yankee123

yankee123 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    our golden rooster roars like a lion then runs away

6. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    The "growl" is a warning sound; its nothing to be overly concerned about. My BO has taken to "growling" when I pass their run after they have been penned in from their morning run [​IMG] So, she's either growling "I hate you for locking us back in!" or, she's just telling the others, "Mum's walking by, but what is the thing behind her?" [​IMG]

I've heard the "purr" sound too - normally when they are dust bathing and in heaven!

My broody hen does a sort of growl/roar sound.

Chooks! We grow up thinking they are one-sound birds; then we keep them and learn they have a whole range of sounds/language we simply did not know about [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by