Chicken mama

CuckooJane

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2018
Bay Area
Hi all,
It all started last year when I hatched eggs in my classroom. I took the chicks home to raise them over the summer and have since then fallen in love. We discovered that six of the eight chicks were roosters, so unfortunately, I had to find a new home home for them. We've grown a bit and now have 4 pullets - one each of Cuckoo Marans, Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, and Buff Orpington.

Penny, Polly, Hattie, and Honey are part of our family now. Our girls have eaten the garden back to sticks, as we are still trying to figure out how to contain them. I think we're close though, and can begin to resuscitate our garden soon.

When Googling chicken questions, this site consistently had answers to my questions and more. Thank you so much to everyone who contributes to this community! Jane

1852879.gif

Glad you're here with us!
Check out our learning center for great information https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/

byc1-chicken-feed1.gif
hithere.gif

Poor yard! Same thing happened to me when I first got my chickens. They had a coop with a run but it was way too small so I had them out in my backyard all day. Eventually I had to move the coop (recently built a new bigger one) to the side of my house where they could have a more contained area. My entire yard was already fenced so all I had to do was build a gate. Maybe you have an area of your yard like that? My girls still get let into the grassy backyard, just not ALL DAY... until my plants die down for the winter.
My original:
IMG_1976.jpg

My new setup:
chicken-gate.jpg

Chickens are definitely addicting all right! Best wishes with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom