Chicken manure question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gringold, Mar 30, 2018.

1. gringold

gringold Chirping

May 2, 2015
    I want to clean out the run and put the dirt in my garden beds. Will this hurt my plants? Also how long does my clean out of my coop with pine shavings and manure take to compost? Thank you for the help.

2. Angeline1978

Angeline1978 Songster

May 22, 2016
    Indiana
    Sawdust and chips normally break down after a year. However I put them on my garden and it has never hurt it.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    water well after applying it to your garden... works for me, but my chicken manure is mixed in with hay, however, it might depend on how thickly you apply it too. If you mix it with the soil, or leave it on top.

Composting depends on a lot of variables, the humidity, the amount of browns, rain, how often you flip the pile...

Really you are going to have to play with it, add a little and see how it goes.

4. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I put it on the garden in the fall, and till it in.
    One can put it (poo, straw, wood chips, grass clippings,, (oops the girls want that) in a black trash bag sealed in the sunshine and composting will happen faster. Do make it moist,,,

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wood chips/shavings can take several years to break down.
    Use it a mulch, the nutrients will wash down in to soil.
    Mixing chips/shavings into the soil may actually reduce the nitrogen available to your plants.

Bobby Basham and Stephine like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: