Chicken massacre overnight last night..

hit.gif
Sooooooooooooooooo Sooooooooooooooo very sorry about your loss i know its hard.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

It sounds like a predator. You should yet a game cam and/or a trap.
hugs.gif

so I think someone came into our yard and opened the door up..after we went to bed...then
the animal got them??
so sorry to hear of your loss.

I don't know what your door/latch is like, but raccoons are very crafty. Imagine a 5 year old boy with patience and determination, if the boy could open the door, a raccoon can probably open it.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our entire flock to a raccoon attack. We had the same coop for 3 years with no problems. Went out one morning with the coop totally closed up to find them all dead except our roo. We couldnt even figure out where they got in for 2 days. The crafty raccoons had pressed themselves between the fence and the coop and pryed open a vent. For three years no problems! That was last summer we still cry over it. My avitar is my all time favorite hen Buffy that was killed in the attack with all of the babies. I think that predator issues are the most important thing people should know before buying chickens. We had no idea that it would be a daily assult on the flock! We thought we would just put them out there and all would be fine...
I hope you find the chicks you are wanting. I put my name on the waiting list at Ideal for some sold out breeds and they called the very next day with a ship date of April 4th. Gook Luck
smile.png

i feel so sorry for you :(. all my favourite chickens all got killed by my neibours dog around 7ish a few months ago it killed about 6 including my huge lavender orpington cockerel which it's carcuss was in the middle of the field and my antie found my other cockerel who was really friendly and cuddley carcuss in her garden and 1 of her dogs had picked it up. my heart goes out to your family!

We loose about 5 chickens to raccoon too. It best to get yourself a large Little Giant LT5 Live Trap or something similar size. We spend about 10 days waiting before getting the raccoon. He really fat after going around eating too many chickens in the neighborhood.

I know a lot of people said it before, but I would have to agree. I had a dog attack occur last year. Scattered chickens everywhere with just a few remaining. Usually just puncture wounds with no meat taken. If it looks like something had a "hay day" of a time with "toys"....think dog.

That sounds so much like the work of a dog, they seem to love gnawing on feathers, especially long rooster tails. The Blue Kote will help discourage the other chickens from pecking at his skin and at the emerging new feathers.

I'm sure you'll eventually get all the kinds of chickens you want as you re-build the flock. I don't put a ton of stock in "what people say" about the different breeds. Sure there are tendencies to consider, but individual results can vary greatly. Each chicken's behavior is a combination of nature and nurture. I bet if your son spends time with all your new chicks and gets them accustomed to regarding him as Bringer of Treats he'll soon have a lot of devoted followers.

I agree with Sunny Side Up on the chicken all having their own personality. I have Silkies, a game hen, a RIR, and a Black Australorp. Our Black Australorp, Henny, is by far the sweetest of the bunch. She follows me all over the yard and eats from my hand, oh and beg.... YES she begs! I got some Happy Hen Treats (dried mealworms) and when I get home from work I give them a treat. Now the whole group follows me around begging for their treat. Especially Henny, if she sees me in the yard she starts that BWAAAK BWWAAAKK! begging until I give her someting. We had a cookout yesterday with the family and she was the star of the show. Everyone was amazed at how she would stay under the tables and walk around begging for a handout. I am so sorry for your loss and I know my daughter would be devastated if something happened to her Henny. We had something attach a few weeks back and got some baby chicks. We heard the chickens carrying on and went outsite to investigate. We didnt find anything but they were all scared out of their usual roosting spots and we couldnt find Henny anywhere. She finally came running back to us with some tail feathers missing. She followed us up to the house and rooster on a lawn chair on the deck. Good luck with your new babies and again I am so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom