Chicken math is calling!

Pics

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..

😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..
This is hilarious. Nine is enough!! :highfive: Sure it is!

voices.jpg

You are SO funny and SO speaking my same language. I DO blame my child for going off to College. I had already started to collect small and medium sized animals but it hit that new level with him gone and then there is the chicken lady at my local store who always reminds me, well you might lose one so you should increase that number by 1. Well 1 equals 2 in my world yet......... I've NEVER lost one. I mean later, but I've never lost a chick. But I do have to pre-plan for that inevitable loss, I mean I wouldn't want to be left in a lurch.... All of my friends and nieghbors like the free egg distributions that are the end result of just 2 people with 12, 13 or maybe 15 or 17 chickens. :lau

P.S. Oh gawd those chicks are SO CUTE!!! Helllllllllp.

Dorm food is universally terrible. If your college-bound children have access to a kitchen, they might still appreciate the occasional care package of fresh eggs.

Ok I’m really done now. No more chicks this year.

Adorable! ❤️

But…and I acknowledge I’m not an expert…I’m not seeing any Marans?

You should go back and get some. 😉

Dorm food is universally terrible. If your college-bound children have access to a kitchen, they might still appreciate the occasional care package of fresh eggs.

Adorable! ❤️

But…and I acknowledge I’m not an expert…I’m not seeing any Marans?

You should go back and get some. 😉
Yeah, I didn’t see any marans in their bin, but I was already there and looking for a long time so I HAD to leave with something!😆

You are SO funny and SO speaking my same language. I DO blame my child for going off to College. I had already started to collect small and medium sized animals but it hit that new level with him gone and then there is the chicken lady at my local store who always reminds me, well you might lose one so you should increase that number by 1. Well 1 equals 2 in my world yet......... I've NEVER lost one. I mean later, but I've never lost a chick. But I do have to pre-plan for that inevitable loss, I mean I wouldn't want to be left in a lurch.... All of my friends and nieghbors like the free egg distributions that are the end result of just 2 people with 12, 13 or maybe 15 or 17 chickens. :lau

P.S. Oh gawd those chicks are SO CUTE!!! Helllllllllp.
lol. My very first time getting chickens is where I learned that 1=2, and I blame my husband for putting that idea in my head. I don’t think he knew the monster he was creating when he said “we should get some chickens to run around in the woods to eat bugs/ticks”

I have 4, which is also enough. . .

Except that 2 of them don't really lay reliably. . .

And 1 is already 4 years old. . .

So I ordered 2 pullets. . .

And they KNEW about chicken math, and sent an email asking me if I wanted a third one, which was SO not fair. . .

So a bigger coop it is, and 7 chickens.

I completely sympathize. There are so many chickens to have, and so little self-control, I mean, TIME. So little TIME.

I have 4, which is also enough. . .

Except that 2 of them don't really lay reliably. . .

And 1 is already 4 years old. . .

So I ordered 2 pullets. . .

And they KNEW about chicken math, and sent an email asking me if I wanted a third one, which was SO not fair. . .

So a bigger coop it is, and 7 chickens.

I completely sympathize. There are so many chickens to have, and so little self-control, I mean, TIME. So little TIME.

You are silly! It takes the exact same amount of time to care for 7 chickens as it does to care for 14 chickens! 😆

Chicken math has hit me to
Started with 5 as town ordinance, now i can have 8.
Realized mixed breeds couldnt be shown and knew someone looking for a started flock.
Then i got 5 more, but one was rehomed for eating eggs.
So then i started hatching.
First batch didnt do well
Second i got 6 out of 7, 4 were males and one passed.
Third only one chick made it.
Fourth hatch,which is my current im pretty sure 3 out of 5 are cockerels.

So now i need to hatch more cause im still at 5.

Back
Top Bottom