CHICKEN MATH STRIKES AGAIN

I am seeing that no matter how many we subtract we still end up with more than we started or planned. Chicken math got to love it. I know I do. started with 1 and am now up to 59. Some will be to freezer camp later in the year, well the roos will if I can find room in there.

So I started out with bad chicken math. I wanted 6 or 8 hens just for eggs. I only wanted that many because I figured they slow down laying in the winter and during molt so hey, I need SOME egg supply during that time because we will be used to fresh eggs by that point and who wants to go back to buying them at the store, right? Then the husband found out that hey people will actually buy eggs. So he said get like 15. But I had 8 breeds I wanted, so you CAN'T have just ONE of any of the breeds so we ended up with 16 chicks. We lost one of the black jersey giants so far but the others are growing and getting their feathers. So I just tell people I wanted 8 but I bought 16 in case there was some attrition!

Chicken math=gotta love it! And i'm already drooling over other breeds! This is going to be bad! And already re-thinking getting rid of any roos I get . . . chicks with a broody hen would be very cool!

I always wanted chickens. Last spring we adopted 11 baby chicks. They are now adults and I wanted more. I asked my husband if I could have 8 more hens. He told me to order 10 in case a few of them died in the mail. I ended up ordering 12 and got a free chick too! We now have 13 babies and 11 adults. Craziness!

Just ordered 15 RIR's this week, I hope not to fall into the "math" problem, I plan on trying to sell some of the ones I bought. It was cheaper to buy 15 then it was to buy the 5 I really wanted.

Billy - go to your Profile page and add your chickens under "signature " . You can put whatever you want.
smile.png

ditto

i started out wanting 4 to 6 hens and one rooster. that was 8 weeks ago. i am now up to 20 chicks. most are supposed to be pullets, but i also have some straight run. i just hope the wife doesn't kill me lol.

Back
Top Bottom