Chicken Math Subtraction, or, My First Solo Processing

Rachel that's so awesome! The pictures are great too. You inspired me to strike up a conversation with hubby about processing. You did a wonderful job!

Congratulations Rachel! That's an accomplishment for sure!
thumbsup.gif

Congratulations Rachel. I never doubted your spirit or your ability. I had confidence you’d get it done when I saw that other thread.

Don’t worry about the time. It takes what it takes. You can shave some time off of it if you wish but we all have our own speeds and ways to get it done. I’m not the fastest in the world either, I just know I can do a half dozen 20 week cockerels in a day and still have everything cleaned up and sterilized outside and in the kitchen in plenty of time to make supper. The chickens are in the freezer cut into serving pieces and the parts that make broth (including the feet that have been skinned) are in their separate bags. I do most prep work like set-up and digging the hole the day before, more to save energy than to save time.

Blooie, I worked a 28-28 schedule, overseas working in Africa or Asia for 28 days then home for 28 days. We waited until the boys were teenagers before I started that but the spouse at home has to take care of things. When I was gone was when the water heater sprung a leak, the AC unit quit, tires went flat and water pumps stopped working. In addition to taking care of that stuff my wife had a part time job (15 hours a week she was paid for but she worked longer hours) running an elementary school library and had two very active teenage boys at home that were involved in a lot of activities requiring transportation, school nights as well as weekends. It changes the family dynamics. I sure could not have done that without her. I can appreciate what you accomplished.

I am so proud of you, Rachel! Maybe I'll have to work up my nerve and process a couple while Ken is out of town. I know if I do it while he's around he'll want to take over, and then all I'll learn is what I've already known for 47 years - if I look helpless and lost for even one minute, he's right there to do it for me so I don't have to. Nice most of the time, but not all of the time!
Blooie, send Ken right over! My hubby HATES to have anything to do with processing. So, I put on my big girl panties this summer, and started culling my own birds, and processed 10 within the last month. If you can work on processing a deer, you can certainly cull and process a rooster. Just be sure to start with the one with the nastiest temper.

Rachel. Job well done. I'm proud of you. And that time frame is perfectly fine for your first process.

I was just wondering. if you split it, is it chicken math division? and if you cut it up, it is chicken math fractions?
I wonder what is chicken calculus.

oh, I bet that's the stuff that forms in their veins after a high fat diet?

Back
Top Bottom