Chicken Math: x+y = how many birds?!?

nychick83

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
This is a spin-off of one of my other posts where we went in depth into how important "Chicken Math" is to the health and well being of your flock. As many of you know, I am putting a website together (which is up and running but still a work in progress) and I said I would post some helpful resources on this topic...so here it is:

http://buildacoop.com/2017/11/27/chicken-coop-math/

There are other blog posts as well covering ventilation and various topics if you are interested...Enjoy!

chicken-coop-plans-whiteboard-chicken-math2.jpg

I would personally recommend much more space. 4 square feet is a 2x2 area, definitely not enough in my opinion to avoid aggression.

What do you recommend?
The problem with most recommendations for coop sizes is they assume all the factors are the same. A coop can be smaller in warmer climates, with certain breeds, and the size of run or no run can affect the size too. I don't care for the minimum square footage for chickens. That's a number used by large producers looking to fit as many debeaked birds into an area.

I think it should be talked about as how much room is need to support of flock of so many birds. Chickens aren't always willing to sit shoulder to shoulder with other birds.

My bantam coop is 8x10 and can comfortably house 15 birds. My other shed has about 30x40 of an area for my birds to move around in and I can house up to 95 comfortably. If I used the recommended footage I could put 300 chickens in there. They would kill each other at that stocking rate. My chickens are completely free range as well and can come and go as they please.

I think people get into trouble following the minimum square footage rules so I don't recommend them anymore. I always say go as big as possible for harmony and peace.

The problem with most recommendations for coop sizes is they assume all the factors are the same. A coop can be smaller in warmer climates, with certain breeds, and the size of run or no run can affect the size too. I don't care for the minimum square footage for chickens. That's a number used by large producers looking to fit as many debeaked birds into an area.

I think it should be talked about as how much room is need to support of flock of so many birds. Chickens aren't always willing to sit shoulder to shoulder with other birds.

My bantam coop is 8x10 and can comfortably house 15 birds. My other shed has about 30x40 of an area for my birds to move around in and I can house up to 95 comfortably. If I used the recommended footage I could put 300 chickens in there. They would kill each other at that stocking rate. My chickens are completely free range as well and can come and go as they please.

I think people get into trouble following the minimum square footage rules so I don't recommend them anymore. I always say go as big as possible for harmony and peace.
Great response. I agree 100% with everything you said. Yes, there are so many different variables that need to be considered. But this is a common question for many newbies, so I think you have to start somewhere. I'm sure users can debate it all day on this forum...which is great because the more information we all ingest, the better. It is a "general rule" with the caveat that other things NEED to be considered (everything you mentioned, breed size, climate, etc).

How does one know what is big enough for harmony and peace though? I'm currently drawing up plans for an 8'x10' shed/coop with the coop portion being 6' x 8'. Going off all I read about the 4 sq ft/bird thing...I figured I'm good for a maximum of 10 birds.

Absolutely no free-ranging...and they have a 10' x 10' enclosed and roofed run.

How does one know what is big enough for harmony and peace though? I'm currently drawing up plans for an 8'x10' shed/coop with the coop portion being 6' x 8'. Going off all I read about the 4 sq ft/bird thing...I figured I'm good for a maximum of 10 birds.

IMHO, as long as you have that 10x10 run attached (and your climate allows them year-round access to it), you're good for 10 birds.

IMHO, as long as you have that 10x10 run attached, you're good for 10 birds.
My interpretation from all the reading I've been doing (hours upon hours) is that planning for space should be based on if the birds would need to be cooped up inside the coop for an extended period of time...so they don't go bat-poop crazy and start fighting.

My interpretation from all the reading I've been doing (hours upon hours) is that planning for space should be based on if the birds would need to be cooped up inside the coop for an extended period of time...so they don't go bat-poop crazy and start fighting.
Agreed (I added to my original response that the space would be suitable as long as the birds can access the run year-round)

Your coop should be okay for that number of birds. You may want to consider making the run larger, and making it so your birds can come out comfortably in winter.

They will pick that area clean in no time than they will become bored. A deep litter system can help keep something in the run to pick at, but you will need to bring things to your birds daily to keep them busy and active to burn off excess energy. People underestimate how busy a chicken is during the day.

Back
Top Bottom