Chicken math

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
We started with our five barred rock girls...they are 7 weeks old now and they are awesome. A few days ago we got 3 silkie babies, who I am so excited about...two white and one black. I have 3 Ameraucana eggs on order right now, hatching may 30 or 31....so three more babies on the way. When we started out, the plan was just the 5 BRs (it was actually supposed to be 3, lol).
Anyway....I already have plans to expand our coop to add a few more birds....so I'm wondering, what is your favourite chicken breed? What have been your favourite to keep?

Going into this I knew zero about chickens, but I love my barred rock girls and I'm so glad we have them. Silkies and Ameraucana were on my chicken bucket list. Now I'm looking for a few more ideas. Gotta love chicken math.

We started with our five barred rock girls...they are 7 weeks old now and they are awesome. A few days ago we got 3 silkie babies, who I am so excited about...two white and one black. I have 3 Ameraucana eggs on order right now, hatching may 30 or 31....so three more babies on the way. When we started out, the plan was just the 5 BRs (it was actually supposed to be 3, lol).
Anyway....I already have plans to expand our coop to add a few more birds....so I'm wondering, what is your favourite chicken breed? What have been your favourite to keep?

Going into this I knew zero about chickens, but I love my barred rock girls and I'm so glad we have them. Silkies and Ameraucana were on my chicken bucket list. Now I'm looking for a few more ideas. Gotta love chicken math.
Chicken Math will sneak up on you----LOL. My favorite chicken is Rhode Island reds, because they are good Layers of brown eggs and rarely go broody. My second choice is White Leghorn, because they are Great Layers of White Eggs!!!

Edited to add a True Story on Chicken Math----Wife and I went to a "Misc Auction" a little over 3 years ago----this Auction also had a Chicken Auction a little later in the evening. I told the Wife after the Misc Auction I wanted to stay for the Chicken Auction----just to see what is happening. At home I had 32 chickens and 3 chicken coops and runs. We stayed for the Auction----and Like it. Less than a year Later I had 67 chicken coops/runs with 27 different breeds and 100's and 100's of chickens, my first year of hatching I hatched close 6000 chicks(sold most)---that was starting with a old Styrofoam incubator to several Styrofoam incubators then moving quickly to 5 cabinet incubators with as many as 1232 chicken on the farm---200 to 300 of those were breeders and the rest were "grow out" chicks which were anywhere from days old up to 6 months old. Some times I would have over 20 brooders with chicks in them. SO Please Be CAREFUL because the Chicken Math will Sneak up on you----LOL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom