Chicken math?

lereg

Songster
Jan 22, 2017
Middle Tn
Well, last year I was thinking that chicken math was a farce, and just for the weak minded people, especially when the wife didn't want them in the first place! One day, my son and dil brought me 6 chicks, about 3 1/2 weeks ago. As of now, I have 16, and not really sure what happened.

The good part of it is that their coop is coming Friday!! I'll have to modify it and build the run, but it will be fine. The run will be 8x24, so all is well, until I go back and get some sexlinks, lol. I still have room, right?

Well, last year I was thinking that chicken math was a farce, and just for the weak minded people, especially when the wife didn't want them in the first place! One day, my son and dil brought me 6 chicks, about 3 1/2 weeks ago. As of now, I have 16, and not really sure what happened.

The good part of it is that their coop is coming Friday!! I'll have to modify it and build the run, but it will be fine. The run will be 8x24, so all is well, until I go back and get some sexlinks, lol. I still have room, right?
If you can count them.. You haven't enough..

We started with 6 two years ago, and it was a firm 6. That's all we needed so we could have eggs a couple of mornings a week.

We now have over 40 hens and pullets and three roosters in two separate flocks, plus four Ayam Cemanis (hoping and praying for a roo and three pullets!) a bunch of Cornish X meat chickens and ten turkey poults.

On top of all that, my wife is addicted to chicks and puts a full load of 22 eggs into the incubator once a month. She sells them as "straight run starter flocks" of ten chicks at 4-5 weeks old but keeps the ones she likes for herself.

The run will be 8x24, so all is well, until I go back and get some sexlinks, lol. I still have room, right?
I respectfully suggest that you try to hold off on more right now. You don't want to run up on your limit the first year. If you don't cull the old, non-laying hens, you'll end up (like me) with a retirement home for former layers and not get any or enough eggs. It's better to spread acquiring them over a few years, then you'll have the retirees in with some who are still working for a living.

I respectfully suggest that you try to hold off on more right now. You don't want to run up on your limit the first year. If you don't cull the old, non-laying hens, you'll end up (like me) with a retirement home for former layers and not get any or enough eggs. It's better to spread acquiring them over a few years, then you'll have the retirees in with some who are still working for a living.
I'm trying, lol. No retirees here, thought that's a couple years down the road.
Im really glad you posted that. Turns out i currently dont have any chickens at all. Or at most, maybe 4 or 5. What a relief that is. And @lereg , you don't have any chickens either!😅
I didn't until 3.5 weeks ago, when I got 6. 10 chicks later, and I don't have another broader, unfortunately. My broader is 8x2, but it might get nice in a week or so, so I can move them to the coop

Back
Top Bottom