Chicken Math

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So, we have a family friend who stopped over today to help us design our run & garden fencing. He is a contractor so we welcome his experience with building! He is helping design our patio (paid for that job) and we appreciated having someone to give us good advice on the run!

After outlining the area where we are putting it, and talking about how to fence the adjacent garden, he completely blew my mind, and told me he is building a coop at the end of the run for us, 6x8. His mother had chickens when he was a boy, and he described how he would make the roost, the egg access door (opening out, not from above), and the ventilation required along the top! We had some extra plywood and posts from a project he finished for us in the fall, so the only thing we will need to purchase is the roofing & a few extra posts for the run! (I already have the hardware cloth purchased.) He said he would build it just for materials cost & wouldn’t charge us extra for labor. ❤️ There are truly some good people still out there! I am in shock!

Can I tell you how excited I am? We just went from 5 chickens in a minimally sized coop, (4x6 including nest box area) to room for up to 12! I think I may just stick with 5-6 this year, so I can add a few more next year if desired.

Just so excited I had to share! What a blessing!

Back
Top Bottom