Chicken Math

How many chicks did you start with?

• Total voters
Started with 4, then started hatching their eggs. 😁 We now have 45 (including ducks and 7 chicks from another breeder, so not all from our original birds). That's some serious chicken math.

We have sold about 22 so far and are not keeping all that we have now. I'm guessing we will calm down to about 20 once all the extra littles and some of the young layers have sold or been given to friends wanting them.

Except...a kiddo wants to do silver Sebrights for 4-H. Forgot about that. Oh dear. 🥴

Last edited:
I started with 4. Kept that number for maybe a year and a half then slowly started to add chickens, coops, runs - poor hubby. Most I had was somewhere around 100+ - fun with lots of roosters running around but had the space. We downsized to where we could not really keep birds so snuck in around 7 then, moved again and now slowly getting up to double digits but not enough land anymore to have the amount I used to have but I do have 12 pullets, 1 roo and will add a few more down the line. Cant help myself :D

E2D327C5-A7B5-4665-B4D1-2B7CB5D906CC.jpeg

I started with a flock of 9 about 4-5 years ago. We had a lot to learn and ended up losing our flock to raccoons. We have came along way since then and have learned more that I ever imagined! We now have 12 hens, 2 roosters and 7 Muscovies. Every single one has a name and I couldn’t even tell you what all we have now. I became a big fan of silkies then wanted more of a mix and added all kids of different ones haha. I have a picture of some greeting me on the front porch the other day.

I started with 25chicks 4ducks 6turkeys and 6geese then I kept adding and ended up with 86 chickens 14ducks we butchered the turkeys and rehomed the geese and then butchered and rehomed chickens I now have 47chickens and 14ducks
Do you favor the ducks or chickens? We got some Muscovies last year and I am absolutely in love! They are the friendliest little things! We have people over often and the ducks greet each one. I love my chickens but they aren’t so social with strangers.

Started with 8 . Took in the neighbors lone survivor after a racoon attacked his flock. So 9.
1 died , rehomed 2 bullies. So 5.
Favorite chicken died, replaced her with 4. Back to 9.
2 white Leghorns
1 Barred rock
1 Black Australorp
2 Delaware
2 Saphire Gems
1 Salmon Favalore

How many chickens did you start out with? (Answer in poll)

How many was the highest you had (if you know), and how many do you have currently (if you know)? Leave a comment to show how your flock has grown!
Started with 4 Dutch bantams.
A year later I had 3 Dutch hens and 8 chicks.
The following years I had 6 Dutch hens.
Bought fertilised eggs when they started to lay less eggs.
Max was 9 adults / 13 including chicks.
Currently I have 6 bantam hens. No chicks.

How many chickens did you start out with? (Answer in poll)

How many was the highest you had (if you know), and how many do you have currently (if you know)? Leave a comment to show how your flock has grown!
Started with 6...that whittled to 3; added 13 Amerucuana's (11 of those lost to Predators); then added 2 Jubilee Orpingtons , 4 Lavendar Orpingtons, 3 Cuckoo Marans, Frank (Rooster), 5 Black Amerucauna/Delawares, Josie our Pilgrim Goose and now Billy our 10 week old American Buff Gander...uh...that makes 25 Total Birdies <3

Back
Top Bottom