Chicken Math?

You don't need tutoring, you did fine and are now promoted to the advance course of chicken math.
D.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I've forgotten how many chickens I've been getting/eating/selling. It's quite a mess to keep track.

I'm down to 19 chickens plus 4 chicks plus 1 turkey plus 2 geese and 2 ducks. Oh, did I mention I'm getting 10 eggs for the incubator?
lau.gif
gig.gif

This was supposed to be 6 hens.

Sky,

So this is what I have to look forward to?
This has nothing to do with chickens, but when I saw that you are from "the wilds of Montana" it brought back a fond memory of the Boseman trail, and how my chocolate Lab hated walking on the buffalo grass,
he's gone but certainly not forgotten.

Last edited:
Buugette, seems to me your coop probably shrunk during a rainy spell, that has nothing to do with chicken math. Of course you need a second coop - maybe one that is waterproofed or sanfordized. I heard rain makes chickens grow also, so it's not your fault if you have more.

I started with two hen but wanted four in order to get enough eggs. Soon realized four hens aren't enough to keep us in eggs
wink.png
, so got a few more. We now have 14 birds, but of course that still won't be enough to supply us with eggs and meat, so a few more will be taking up residence very soon.....
lol.png

Quote:
Great memory, fancy! I live in the NW part of the state near Missoula. I love it here.

I think you're going to end up hooked. It's really easy, and now that we have eggs and meat, my DH thinks it's a good hobby to have. I told him tonight about the eggs and he said "that's because you didn't get the hatch rate you wanted out of the last bunch." Yeah, he knows me.
lol.png

6=19 by my count. (The chicks, eggs, and other fowl don't count).

I started with 2 barred rock pullets (allegedly about 14 to 16 wks old)
One turned out to be a roo...2-1=1
Bought 2 Buff Orpinton layers...1+2=3
Traded unwanted roo for actual hen...3+1=4
Returned to BO seller to buy 2 more, ended up with more...4+4=8
Planned ahead so I'm set up to accomodate 15 at this point!
Just realized that the other BR I started out with is another roo...he doesn't count...8-1=7
I'm going to an aquaintances house tomorrow to buy ONE chicken...
Any guesses on how many I'll come home with??? I'm already planning on a new (bigger) coop...

here is some chicken math I'm a beginner but I think I got it down pretty good.
I asked my husband if I could get a few chicks........ that's 3, you multiply that by only a few 3,
wink.png
that's 9 then for beginners luck I again multiply that by a few that's 3 .......oops! you mean 27 chicks is not a few...
lol.png
...who KNEW!
5 weeks into this and they are all doing well !

Back
Top Bottom