chicken math

when i made up the pot pies i made a big batch so i canned up 3 quarts of pie fixins witch i figure will give us 6 more pies. also got some chicken stock out of the deal :)

wow your filling looks so yummy and good...
i am very intregued...looks wonderfully creamy
Did you use milk or a rue flour mix in making the filling
looks like it canned up so well
and is contrary to what i have been told
makes me think more things are possible..

opps sorry :( dh just read that you can not can dairy products so i quess the dogs get to enjoy it. does any one have any knowledge out there about canning cream of (what ever) ? they sell canned milk, is it fake milk ?

I have a friend who was getting into "Food Storage for the End of Times". He was so proud when he showed me his canned butter. He melted a pound of butter, poured it into a mason jar, put the lid on while hot and it sealed. As the butter cooled, he shok up the jar and kept the solids and liquid mixed. A couple of months later, he had rancid butter.
We make Ghee at home, and it keeps in the cupboard for a couple of months just fine, when it lasts that long.

One suggestion I have gotten for making Cream of XXXX stuff to be canned, make your recipe with everything but the dairy products. When ready to use, dump the jar into a pot, add the dairy and heat to eat. I don't know if it works or not. Someday I will try it.

I like to make a rue, then place tablespoons of it on a cookie sheet and freeze it. When frozen solid, I dump them all into a ziplock and store in the freezer. I drop a frozen rue ball into my liquid and bring to a boil to thicken it. 1 rue ball will thicken 1 cup of liquid. Last night I made cheese sauce for steamed cauliflower. I like my cheese sauce thick so I only used 3/4 cup skim milk, 2 ounces chedder cheese, 1 tablespoon of grated romano cheese, a dash of white pepper and a dash of mustard powder. Heat it up, drop in the rue ball and bring to a boil. It thickened beautifully and was quick and easy.

I have a friend who was getting into "Food Storage for the End of Times". He was so proud when he showed me his canned butter. He melted a pound of butter, poured it into a mason jar, put the lid on while hot and it sealed. As the butter cooled, he shok up the jar and kept the solids and liquid mixed. A couple of months later, he had rancid butter.
We make Ghee at home, and it keeps in the cupboard for a couple of months just fine, when it lasts that long.

One suggestion I have gotten for making Cream of XXXX stuff to be canned, make your recipe with everything but the dairy products. When ready to use, dump the jar into a pot, add the dairy and heat to eat. I don't know if it works or not. Someday I will try it.

I like to make a rue, then place tablespoons of it on a cookie sheet and freeze it. When frozen solid, I dump them all into a ziplock and store in the freezer. I drop a frozen rue ball into my liquid and bring to a boil to thicken it. 1 rue ball will thicken 1 cup of liquid. Last night I made cheese sauce for steamed cauliflower. I like my cheese sauce thick so I only used 3/4 cup skim milk, 2 ounces chedder cheese, 1 tablespoon of grated romano cheese, a dash of white pepper and a dash of mustard powder. Heat it up, drop in the rue ball and bring to a boil. It thickened beautifully and was quick and easy.
ok, thanks, i am going to try it sometime. i noticed on cans of soup it says add milk if you want it thicker.

thanks for posting your tip dreamer!!!!!!!!!!
fantastic one...
am definatly gonna try it..!!!!!!!!

If you go on u tube and punch in canning milk...
there is someone who goes through the process of canning milk
I want to try it myself to have emergency suppy of milk on hand...
she says..canned longer you get the evaporated milk taste..

Still wwwwaaaaaiiiitttttttiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!
roll.png

please .......crack open one of those little round babies
and let us know how those noodles worked out...
even if it is a win for the doggies

Still wwwwaaaaaiiiitttttttiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!
roll.png

please .......crack open one of those little round babies
and let us know how those noodles worked out...
even if it is a win for the doggies

ok, it's been 6 mos and im having some of my soup, the noodles are the same texture as when i cooked them in the first place, nice and firm. so the myth is busted. the old wives tale is false. you can can chicken noodle soup and enjoy it several mos later.

Back
Top Bottom