Chicken math

It only seems logical. If more people want eggs than you have eggs you need more factories lol.

And with them putting so many birds down in the east the demand can only grow.

For a couple of years, my family wanted to get chickens. Last November, I got tired of waiting for the "perfect time" and ordered my first 5 for the beginning of December. Before they even arrived, we pre-ordered 6 ducks for February and 16 more chicks for the end of March...because there are so many amazing breeds and I just HAD to try them all! Well, two weeks before the second chick order arrived, my impatience caused an epiphany...I hadn't ordered enough colored egg layers!!! What was I THINKING??? Well, I HAD to buy more feed, so I headed to Rural King and came home with 5 EEs and a Partridge Rock. After all, 6 was their minimum, so it was the store's fault. Fast forward 10 weeks and YIKES, we have 2 EE roosters on our hands! We rehomed the 2 roosters a few days ago, so now there's a black hole in my flock, just starving to suck in a couple more chicks...or so! PLUS I'm once again low on colored egg layers...
Okay, so today I ordered 2 Blue Ameraucanas plus 1 Easter Egger that I really, REALLY hope my husband allows me to swap out for a much-pricier Lavender Orpington. To complicate the situation, my daughter has chicken AND duck math, so yesterday we bought 2 Black Cayuga ducks. I swore on my own grave we'd NEVER, EVER get another duck, but I must have lied...so, 33-2+3+2=36. There's a problem here for sure, but it couldn't possibly be me.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the government is performing some unsanctioned experiment that makes normal people lose all control at the sight and thought of baby poultry!!! I mean it CAN'T BE US!!! :)

I'm pretty sure the government is performing some unsanctioned experiment that makes normal people lose all control at the sight and thought of baby poultry!!! I mean it CAN'T BE US!!! :)
I cannot deny or confirm this suspicion.
1f60f.png

Is it normal to sell a few of my own chicks for a few bucks and then plan to replace them with a whole incubator of expensive hatching eggs. This is a little more than an obsession.

Its not very financially sound though. Its kinda funny though. My husband is away all next week so I have a 4 hour trip and over 100 dollars for 24 eggs planned and I havent told him a thing. He will come home to a bator full of blue eggs never knowing a thing.

Its for the best!

Back
Top Bottom