Chicken math

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lereg15, Mar 13, 2015.

1. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I just slipped out to the feed store. Bought 150# of 18% non medicated organic crumbles. Snuck it in the house (climate control ) hid it in the store room way in the back with a towel over it. Then I stuck a burnt out lightbulb in the light socket.:) My wife knows 6geese arrive next week. She knows 30 (so far ) chicks arrive in July. I just don't see the need to throw gas on a fire.lol

2. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada

So true.

3. n3kms

n3kms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a broody sitting faithfully on two eggs. My husband knows she is sitting on two eggs because he helped me move her. What he doesn't know is that tomorrow I'll be picking up a dozen silkie eggs to replace the two under her. He'll be in for a shock in about three weeks. Who can get mad at cute little chicks? And how was I supposed to know how many would hatch if I got a dozen?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bondo Chicks

Bondo Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Kirkwood, New York
    We have 16 hens and one rooster. The neighbor wants to give away her kids old play house. so I said we would take it. We need something to put it. So we decided to get some eggs and hatch them. I bought a dozen blue eggs and 8 bantam eggs and took them to school to hatch at the Pre-k class. My daughter bought 2 dozen other eggs to hatch at home. To make a long story short we now have 28 new chicks to fit into a 8 x 8 playhouse. Not sure how many are hens, we keep calling them "her" or "she" Then two weeks ago my favorite bantam wanted to go broody. I left her have 2 eggs. Being kind of new to chickens I didn't know that the other hens would lay eggs in the same nest she was in. I got some information from someone BYC that I should mark the eggs I put under her first. She is now trying to hatch 4 eggs. What are we going to do with 49 chickens. This all started out to be a fun hobby. My wife is ready to tell me what the chickens and I can do.

5. Hannah Nichole

Hannah Nichole Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    How lovely! I need more chicks now!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  6. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I just contacted Macmurray about my july 6th chick shipping date. They told me chicks would ship AFTER the holidays. That is such a relief!!!!

7. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Well four more supposed pullets turned out to be cockerls, so that means out of 32 chickens, I have 15 pullets and 17 cockerels (keeping 2) so that means I need more pullets to balance the ratio right.

8. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    I want only 4 I am up to 20 now thinking more coop. Oh Lord help me. LOL

9. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Well curious chickee, with that many rooster you can select for optimum traits. How fast they grow,feather out weight,temperment ect. I purposely ordered extra roos so I could do this.

10. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

a

Most were free for buying chick starter. I am keeping my cochin because I want the fuzzy but full size and I love his personality. We are keeping one of the EE (chose three to pick our favorite color, size, comb etc.) so far looks like the silver one. The rest are barred rock and a RIR. I was hoping my Wyandotte were pullets but no luck, they are buff like my cochin so not keeping them.

My keeper Roos so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait for their future chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by